Re: rsync to port 8080

On Fri, 19 May 2006, Brent Clark wrote:
Im running ssh on port 8080, and I cant get rsync to connect.

Just a guess: Your ISP runs a transparent proxy on this port. To check
this try to see what happens if you run

telnet your.host.co.uk 8080

If telnet says that you can connect but your.host does not get a
connection attempt then there is a transparent proxy and thus you have
to the change the port to something unusual.

--
Regards,
ASK

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Solaris 8 - Configuring sendmail relay (NoAuth inbound -> SSL outbound)
    ... Per has already mentioned telnetting to port 25 and port 587. ... You may like a little tool I just learned about called swaks ... Be sure to aim telnet or swaks at port 587 on the server. ... My isp had been ok with plain authentication until just a couple weeks ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: Can I by-pass my ISP to email?
    ... Although apparently sendmail is a pain to setup, ... Can I by-pass my ISP to email? ... Ping does not go to port 25. ... on telnet -- yet. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: POP3 Error 10060 - desperate
    ... After failing to telnet to my ISP ... port 110, ... >packet filter in ISA and Javier recommended. ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000)
  • Re: large number of messages in outbound queue
    ... If you can Telnet on port 25 to other clients and they are ... NOT on your same ISP then you are not being blocked on ... specific queues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: OWA-IE6 Access denied
    ... OWA works on port 443. ... you should get a blinking cursor if you run "telnet mail.mycompany.com 443" from a command prompt on the remote client. ... As this happened when you changed ISPs, and OWA still works from other locations, then the ISP should help you resolve it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)