From: Keld Jørn Simonsen [mailto:keld@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 9:24 AM
To: secureshell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: using ssh for login authifcation

I use ssh all the time and I am irritated that I need to first login via my
passwd and then give my passphrase. I thought why not just give the
passphrase, as I do when I do a remote login via ssh.

I got the message from the list moderator that this may be irrelevant here -
but IMHO it is related to ssh. Anyway he pointed me to PAM, and indeed I
found a module pam_ssh.so that should fullfill my wishes.

So my question is: is pam_ssh the way forward?

[snip]

Relevant Pages

  • sshd configuration after mergemaster
    ... all of my configuration seems to have ... carried over and is working perfectly, with the exception of ssh. ... from logging in via ssh as "root". ... I have not used PAM before. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Disable SSH authentication
    ... we can use two ways to login to remote machine: ... My question is that can we disable the SSH authentication so that we don't need to either provide user account or the public key? ... If you really, really, really wanted to do this, you could do it via pam, using UsePAM yes in sshd_config and then set the pam for ssh to accept without checking for any passwords. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: SSH pubkey or password based on user group
    ... >> What I was trying to do is not to allow users that are in root ... >> key while every other user can choose whether they will login using ... >> pam but I couldn't find any module that will have my job done. ... AN> than ssh. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Securing SSH
    ... guillermo. ... The configuration I have simply rate limits attempts. ... I'm looking to tighten up my ssh configuration. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Securing SSH
    ... Provides auto blacklisting of hosts and users responsible for repeated failed authentication attempts. ... Generally configured so that blacklisted users still see normal login prompts but are guaranteed to fail to authenticate. ... I'm looking to tighten up my ssh configuration. ...
    (Fedora)