Re: updating expired passwords following ssh login, user advisory

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 01:46:02PM -0800, samuel gipe wrote:
When sshing into a machine with an expired password, the user is forced
to change the password immediately. When updating the expired password
the user is not advised if the proposed new password is in openldap's
ppolicy password history. The update is denied but the user is not advised
why, even though openldap generates a reason/message and pam_ldap passes that
message to sshd (observed via strace).

What SSH software and version are you using? If it's OpenSSH, there was
a bug regarding passing of PAM messages back to the client that would
probably explain your problem. That bug was fixed in (from memory) 4.1p1.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: pam_sm_close_session doesnt run without privilege seperation
    ... > root) at session start and it mounts the directory I want. ... I have opened a bug: ... Could you please try the patch and let me know if it resolves the ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Change in X11 forwarding behaviour with OpenSSH 4.2p1
    ... > there is a change in the behaviour of the X11 forwarding between versions ... > Should it be considered as a bug? ... report your findings. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: Endless sftp ls listings on Tru64
    ... When readdir returns NULL, that means ... >opinion from others on where the bug really lies:). ... I'd open an OpenSSH bugzilla bug for it. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: ssh login with passwords!
    ... >Is this a valid behavior or is it a bug? ... Depends on the underlying password scheme. ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)