Re: Identification String spam from known hosts

Rob Munsch wrote:

Host's logs are filled with "Did not receive identification string
from x.x.x.x" messages when i am connected to the host *from* x.x.x.x
at a rate of one every 2-3 minutes. What is the cause of sshd's ire?

Generally, these are caused when a machine connects to the SSH port, but
doesn't attempt login. they're very common if, for example, you're
making periodic connections to port 22 via some kind of monitoring
system. However, any connection which never gets around to
authenticating, from a port scan to a user connecting and walking away
for a few minutes, can cause this message.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Proxy and Firewalls
    ... we will use port 80 for HTTP connections and use port ... If you host a website with different IP address, ... you can use port 443 for SSL connection for that new website. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Need help with bandwidth management . . .
    ... also be a good time to separate the wired from the wireless parts of ... wired connections. ... QoS lan port settings, and I cannot get anything consistent. ... switch ports and limit the bandwidth per port (the settings are ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: How I "turn-on" e-mail?
    ... I cannot connect to port 25 when I come from other hosts. ... I'm looking for some general advice on how to configure this host so ... Sendmail is configured by default to only listen on the loopback device. ... You will need to reconfigure it to listen for connections on your network ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Iptables FTP question
    ... for secondary connections. ... Some ftp servers don't allow passive mode because it is less safe from ... algs that allow port mode for client machines. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)