Connection timed out

Hi,

I have a Linux machine that has the ssh daemon running, and am trying to
access it via my windows xp machine with cygwin.

I can ping the linux machine ip address, or nslookup the linux machine
from cygwin. I can also do the reverse with the linux machine to
windows.

When I try
~# ssh myuserid@linux-ip-address or ~# ssh linux-ip-address

it hangs for 15-20 seconds, then gives me the following error:
ssh: connect to host xxx.xxx.x.xx port 22: Connection timed out

I've been through the information on www.openssh.com
<http://www.openssh.com/> manual pages, and don't see anthing that
points me in the right direction.

Any ideas?

EBD

This message and any attachments are intended for the individual or
entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please do
not forward, copy, print, use or disclose this communication to others;
also please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then
delete it from your system. The Timken Company / The Timken Corporation

Relevant Pages

  • Problem with Ad-hoc wireless network Windows to Linux (no ping)
    ... I am trying to set up an ad-hoc wireless network between two ... After I have set them up I cannot ping the Linux machine from the ... Windows machine. ... I get no reports of connection problems. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: getting php to run as another user?
    ... Windows drive using smbmount from the Linux machine. ... But when I try this by uploading a file with my php script, ... The user "george" will have permission to write ...
    (alt.php)
  • Re: X-Win32?
    ... >> each time I get access to a linux machine and a terminal window pops up ... > Exceed and X-Win32 for a while but switched to cygwin about two years ago. ... "Cygwin is not a way to run native linux apps on Windows. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: OT: Why PC is evil
    ... what.....you're one of those Mac snobs? ... Building a Linux machine takes little patience. ... If it weren't for my job, I'd never use Windows again, and I wouldn't ... Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733 ...
    (alt.smokers.cigars)
  • Re: starting embedded linux debugging
    ... > some Windows CAD programs on a Linux machine. ... > exactly as if the host was running the embedded OS. ... world a lot of tools are fixed on Windows - things like CPLD ... > it's effectively connected to the network. ...
    (comp.os.linux.embedded)