Re: best home router for openssh

Michael Hieb wrote:
> Perhaps not the answer as I suspect you are looking for, but I
> have ALWAYS just built my routers using old PC(s) running linux and
> iptables and I have NEVER had any of these problems. If this seems
> onerous, perhaps www.linuxrouter.org can make this easier. Besides
> connectivity, you can sleep easier knowing what your router is really
> doing.
>
> Good luck...

I agree with you, building old PC's with Linux + iptables or OpenBSD +
pf, both with OpenSSH, has been hassle free for years, on my own end, as
long as the hardware can continue with some more beating. More
flexibility and much easier to maintain in the long run, despite the
learning curve of keeping it as tight as possible, security wise.
Linuxrouter.org died though a few years back, it forked to LEAF:

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/
The Bering-uClibc branch is the most up-to-date with the 2.4.31 kernel.

Soekris http://www.soekris.com/products.htm makes excellent mainboards
for customized routers, especially for BSD and Linux.

--
Patrick Benson
Stockholm, Sweden

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Routing problems
    ... and is why we can't set them to the WAN routers for direct access (the ... Sprint routers only have routes to the main office and the two branches, ... Linux box here, it has two NICs in it, one on the .1 subnet and one on the ... > routers forward packets to the routers in your main office. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Slow browsing with cable modem
    ... Linux box. ... > The routers address is one I haven't seen before. ... browsers are _useless_ for diagnosing network ... configuration problems. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: OT: ISPs: Linuxs role nowadays
    ... > Servers don't really make good routers. ... > When you start talking about SONET links, Linux AFAIK ... > Dynamic routing has always been pretty weak in Linux as well. ... Cost of putting a linux solution for networking in place, for anything other than a service position, time to research, time to cobble a solution together plus cost of building the software and possibly the drivers for the particular variant of linux you choose to use. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Linux v Dedicated NAT routers - secure remote differences
    ... cheap routers and use it. ... I can't with a linux NAT box. ... > My company allows remote laptop computers connected via the internet ... > internet, and this setup works. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: WANTED: home linux suggestions for router-gateway on a CD
    ... > doing with linux, as defined by the OP statements. ... The small routers are good as far as they go, ... > A linux distribution/workstation can be a total gateway solution. ... the OP wants a router for a home network and suggests ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)