Re: best home router for openssh

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Bob Rasmussen wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Michael Hieb wrote:
>
> > Perhaps not the answer as I suspect you are looking for, but I
> > have ALWAYS just built my routers using old PC(s) running linux and
> > iptables and I have NEVER had any of these problems. If this seems
> > onerous, perhaps www.linuxrouter.org can make this easier. Besides
> > connectivity, you can sleep easier knowing what your router is really
> > doing.
>
> How would this address the fact that the problem I am having is primarily
> with the WIRELESS link?

I think this begs the question as to whether the problem with the routing
part or the wireless part of the "wireless router". Obviously I don't know
which, but you could test by seeing if you have the same problem with a
"wired" connection to the wireless router. My experience is that I build
my own router and hang an airport off one of the interfaces of the home built
router and again I have had zero problems. However, I must add that when I do
this I set the wireless segment on a different LAN segment than my
pincipal network, then block all traffic on the wireless segment except
OpenVPN. Any wireless client connects and then immediately tunnels though and
rejoins my principal network through OpenVPN. FWIW I use a netgear router,
I'll send the exact model when I get home and can check. But I have had
linksys wireless routers in the past and also did not experience problems.

BTW: Sorry for the bogus reference to LRP (I didn't know it was a dead
project when I sent my post).

Hope this helps,

Michael

> Regards,
> ....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.
>
> personal e-mail: ras@xxxxxxxxx
> company e-mail: rsi@xxxxxxxxx
> voice: (US) 503-624-0360 (9:00-6:00 Pacific Time)
> fax: (US) 503-624-0760
> web: http://www.anzio.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: TV service query ? ? ?
    ... a wireless router. ... a router with extended coverage. ... cable and a wireless connection that you can not see. ... is to have users downloading r/t video, large video files, or other ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: TV service query ? ? ?
    ... a wireless router. ... a router with extended coverage. ... cable and a wireless connection that you can not see. ... contract with the cable company for one legitimate internet service? ...
    (alt.home.repair)
  • Re: My Network Places
    ... Usually, in a situation like that, the owner of the router that is actually connected to the Internet, configures the router so that each individual users is isolated from the others. ... I'm not sure why you are using a bridge and separate wireless router rather than merely wirelessly connecting direct to your "provider's" router, but there is a definite plus: because you have your own wireless router, you can effectively isolate yourself from the other users on your provider's router. ... As soon as you click the "Save Settings" button, you will lose your connection, because your computer will now be on a different subnet. ... It does not provide any security and it may cause problems, ...
  • Re: Networking Question - VLANs on SBS 2003 Premium SP1
    ... DHCP running on the router. ... Set the DHCP on the router, to make a exclusion of IP range. ... you can set the SBS use fix IP by run the CEICW. ... all gust wireless clients will get IP address from DHCP on the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: TV service query ? ? ?
    ... a wireless router. ... Many routers allow up to 50 connections. ... a router with extended coverage. ... is to have users downloading r/t video, large video files, or other ...
    (alt.home.repair)