Re: best home router for openssh

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, David Maynard wrote:

> If you haven't, I would try upgrading the firmware on the Linksys. Last
> year, I had the displeasure of using a USRobotics router at my in-laws
> that wouldn't hold an ssh session for more than a few minutes. This year,
> they had finally released a software update that fixed the issue. The USR
> actually worked well after the upgrade. (I wouldn't necessarily recommend
> buying it though. Software updates are rare and I'm not convinced that
> they really care much about that product line.)

I have a similar situation, with a brand new Linksys wireless router.
Following your suggestion, this morning I updated its firmware. Still no
joy. SSH sessions get cut off frequently, although it is better if I'm
closer to the router. Differences even show up in a ping or tracert
command, with times about 10 times higher, or more, for the wireless
connection that for a wired connection. I may get brave and call their
tech support.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras@xxxxxxxxx
company e-mail: rsi@xxxxxxxxx
fax: (US) 503-624-0760
web: http://www.anzio.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: VPN questions
    ... Our BEFVP41 stopped PPTP passthrough after upgrading to the latest ... Linksys technical support suggested downgrading the ... firmware to the next most recent verstion, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Linksys BEFSX41 firewall router: Problem with its 1.45.3 firmware
    ... I have always had problems while upgrading to the Linksys latest firmware ... > web sites/pages directly, I get the ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • [NEWS] Vulnerability Report for Linksys Devices
    ... - Linksys BEFSR81. ... Firmware v1.42.7 ... Known to be vulnerable to some of the bugs here described: ... them, as far as Carlos could verify, are post authentication. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • CORE-20021005: Vulnerability Report For Linksys Devices
    ... Vulnerability Report For Linksys Devices ... Remotely exploitable Buffer overflows and Authentication ... on the internet, upload a new firmware, and perform any other configuration ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Linksys routers, SNMP issues
    ... Note that the BEFSR41 (and most likely numerous other Linksys ... the latest firmware upgrades fix most models. ... Enterprise Specific Trap Uptime: 2 days, 19:00:23.36, ...
    (Bugtraq)