Re: Alternative logging destination for sshd

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 02:43:04PM +0100, Tob_Sch@xxxxxx wrote:
> we are using OpenSSH 4.2p1.
> Is it possible (with the help of documented or undocumented sshd_config
> parameters, or by changing some header file entries in the source) to force
> sshd to log to a named pipe instead to syslog?

You would need to modify the code or provide replacements for
openlog/syslog/closelog.

Most syslogds will write to a named pipe if you configure them to do
so, though. Would that serve your purpose?

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Alternative logging destination for sshd
    ... > Betreff: Re: Alternative logging destination for sshd ... >> sshd to log to a named pipe instead to syslog? ... > Most syslogds will write to a named pipe if you configure them to do ... > Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: redirect to syslog
    ... >> rather than to syslog. ... >> would replace the application's logfile with a 'named pipe' and then ... >> write a perl program to read from that named pipe ... ... > Here is a partial extract of Perl code dealing with Unix pipe files: ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • redirect to syslog
    ... i have an application which insists on writing to its own log file, ... rather than to syslog. ... i'm imagining that i can write a program to do this ... ... would replace the application's logfile with a 'named pipe' and then ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • redirect to syslog
    ... i have an application which insists on writing to its own log file, ... rather than to syslog. ... i'm imagining that i can write a program to do this ... ... would replace the application's logfile with a 'named pipe' and then ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: redirect to syslog
    ... > rather than to syslog. ... Then it will be necessary to modify that program. ... output to a named pipe, unless there are some redirection tricks I ... modify it to use syslog instead of writing to its own log file. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)