Re: AllowUsers issue

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 06:57:40PM +0000, Roberto Gallo wrote:
> I have an FC3 system using OpenSSH and would like to allow only one user to
> login. This way, I have changed the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config at 3
> different points:
>
> 1) Added: "Protocol 2"
> 2) Toggle: "AllowPAM no"

There's no such directive. You probably mean "UsePAM", but it should make
no difference to the action of AllowUsers.

> 3) Added: "AllowUsers myuser"
>
> Then, I executed: "/usr/sbin/sshd"
>
> Even after that, I could login with a different user than "myuser". What
> did I do wrong?

Unless you stopped the running sshd before executing /usr/sbin/sshd
(which you didn't mention) then the old one is still running with the
old config. Try "/sbin/service sshd reload", sending a SIGHUP to the
listening sshd manually or killing the running sshd before starting the
new one.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: X11 tuneling: a hard to fix problem
    ... debug2: bind port 6010: Cannot assign requested address ... I'm not sure if it's related to your problem, but I've seen that once before on Solaris 9, where it was apparently caused by patch 118305-04. ... you can either back out the patch or work around it by running sshd with IPv4 support only ("-4" on the sshd command line ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: ssh_exchange_identification error
    ... > beginning to work on the client, ... If nothing leaps out at you, try running sshd in debug mode. ... Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au) ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Public Key auth on Cygwin closes session...
    ... >I have a Windows Sever 2003 box running the latest Cygwin, and running sshd ... Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: OpenSSH 3.7.1p1 Linux, Gcc 3.3.1 etc.
    ... Running sshd as root isnt as ... >>Just when you tought things weren't to become more confused. ... > Good judgement comes with experience. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)