From: Christopher L. Barnard [mailto:cbar44@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 8:25 AM
To: secureshell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Christopher L. Barnard
Subject: Some servers do not forward X11, but I do not know why.

I do not have newsgroup access, so I cannot pose this question on The mailing list archives do not appear to have a
solution. Hopefully you can help me.

I have two identical Sun Solaris 9 servers. Both are running OpenSsh
version 4.2p1. Both have identical ssh_config and sshd_config files.
One allows me to run X programs and they are displayed back on my
The other one reports

Error: Can't open display:

What am I missing to force this server to set the DISPLAY variable so
X11 will be forwarded? As I say the ssh_config and sshd_config files
are identical with a server that works, and in particular ssh_config:

ForwardX11 yes

and sshd_config:

X11Forwarding yes
X11UseLocalhost no

| Christopher L. Barnard O When I was a boy I was told that
| cbarnard@xxxxxxxxxxxx / \ anybody could become president.
| (312) 347-4901 O---O Now I'm beginning to believe it.
| --Clarence Darrow
+----------PGP public key available via finger or PGP

Relevant Pages