Re: Bad transmission rate

Hi

I would be checking the interface speed and duplex settings on both
the switch (if possible) and the boxes, especially the OpenBSD one and
make sure they match. See the ifconfig(8) man page for the "media" and
"mediaopt" options.

For comparison, I get ~5MB/s copying from my OpenBSD firewall (a P2/400,
using the arcfour cipher), so with faster CPUs on both ends you should
get close to wire speed.

I've tried it with half-duplex and got 1MB/s which is also unsatisfactory.

If the speed/duplex settings don't help, you might also try another type of ethernet interface.

Then I tried a 3COM NIC 3c905CX-TX-M and now I get speeds up to 10.1MB/s what is realy what I wanted ;-)

In the end it seems a little bit strange to me, because the NIC works fine under Linux and while I've installed OpenBSD and fetched the packages through a http-server I got up to 7-8MB/s.

But so long I'm now happy with my OpenBSD/SSH-Box. Thx for the help!

-Stefan

Relevant Pages

  • Re: A little more help needed [Re: intel ICH6R +SATA - anyone succeeded? ]
    ... > as context switch on UP on P4. ... > If you're seeking to use openbsd as your spiffy desktop to run ... and I do not expect a superior to other os sound - i just want any sound, ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)
  • Re: slow network performance
    ... The testing has been between my OpenBSD and Linux boxes, ... > which are connected via a 100 Mbps switch. ... > ethernet cards, different cables, and even tried using a crossover ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)
  • Re: Problem with window managers and PS/2 mouse: SOLUTION
    ... I bought "Linksys Integrated KVM 2-port switch" ... When I was using Belkin KVM the scroll wheel stopped working ... > switch and experience the same problem under OpenBSD. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)
  • Re: Interface bonding
    ... > both switches one NIC to the first switch and the other NIC to the ... I did not say that OpenBSD cannot do that. ... Any decent switch will run until power is removed. ... If you still insist complicating, use 2 NIC on different ip-nets, use ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)
  • Re: openbsd 3.8 isakmpd x509 issues
    ... identical setup on two openbsd 3.7 hosts did ... >>>work with both preshared key and using certificates. ... >> for me and for plenty of people, so you must have made a configuration ... > retrieved on the openbsd 3.8 boxes did not tell the truth. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc)