Re: slow sftp/scp access despite fast network

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 12:34:31AM +0000, Kris Harris wrote:
> on the system of interest (i.e. sftp localhost), I get like 10Mb/s, so the
> server doesn't seem pooched

Hopefully you meant 10MB/s? 10Mb/s is about 1MB/s, which I think
seems extraordinarily slow for transfers on the local machine... On
my laptop I get about 6.5MB/s for a 20MB file. Which still seems
rather slow to me, but it's more reasonable.

> the computer is actually the head node of a small cluster and I get the
> results:
> node2 to to master(gutowsky) via sftp: starts at 200 KB/s and ends on a
> cumulative rate of 100 KB/s, which is acceptable I suppose
> node2 to master(gutowsky) via iperf: 4.49 Mbits/sec (560 KB/s ?)

These are on the same LAN? These numbers sound horrible. On a
100Mb/s LAN, you should be able to achieve speeds of at least 4-5 MB/s
or so. Over my 802.11b network (11Mb/s) I can get speeds of up to
about 700KB/s. With a 100Mb/s LAN and no encryption/compression, you
should see speeds of around 8-9MB/s if your ethernet hardware doesn't
suck (and isn't misconfigured).

> (p.s., tried the usual net-problem charachters of switch, full/half duplex
> mode, and a different kernel module (but still 2.4 kernel))

Well, I definitely would have jumped on duplex being the issue... Did
you check carefully the connections on both the switch and the local
host to make sure there is no duplex mismatch? I've seen it happen
fairly often that the switch autonegotiates to 100Mb/Full but the host
autonegs to half duplex. Did you check the config on both ends
of the connection (switch and host, for sender and receiver)?

To check in Linux, you can use mii-tool or check the output of dmesg.
If you're using GB ethernet, some distros may not have a version of
mii-tool which reports the link status correctly.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/

  • Re: FreeBSD 5.3 Networking performance problem
    ... > switch port, too. ... The other thing to check is your duplex settings. ... interface and/or switch interface may be picking the wrong setting ... to autoneg correctly if the host side is set to auto, ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: if_msk.c link negotiation / packet drops
    ... The switch its plugged in is configured for 100baseTX full-duplex. ... Resolved duplex is half so I guess it would be normal to see ... to not do auto-config, the other end SHOULD always set to half-duplex. ... Also, contrary to common belief, collisions are NOT errors. ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: two NICs and speed issues
    ... > So if you disconnect the modem the transfers are fast on the ... > will give you a listing of each interface. ... > connections you want to have full duplex set. ... > between the NIC and the switch you will see the error count increase ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Mysterious problem on my clients Windows Server 2003 Network
    ... I changed the switch today and I'm still getting the bad checksums. ... cable is configured to 100Mbps full duplex and the other end to ... would lose connection to the server and/or connection to the internet, ...
  • Re: Odd Duplex Problem - transmit speed
    ... I have a GE medical imaging device that GE tells me HAS to be ... Easy enough, affer the switch config, I check the GE Imaging device, ... and plug a small dlink hub into that port. ... A HUB cannot operate at full duplex, it is a hub, it only runs at half ...
    (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)