Re: Solaris 10

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_zip.com.au)
Date: 11/19/05

    Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:09:28 +1100
    To: Carlo Musante <carlo@ucomm.wayne.edu>

    On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 05:31:42PM -0500, Carlo Musante wrote:
    > I have been having a heck of a time trying to get openssh-4.x.yp1 to
    > compile on a AMD64 Solaris 10 system. All the attempts end with the
    > following error.
    >
    > gcc -o ssh ssh.o readconf.o clientloop.o sshtty.o sshconnect.o
    > sshconnect1.o sshconnect2.o -L. -Lopenbsd-compat/ -lssh -lopenbsd-compat
    > -lresolv -lcrypto -lrt -lz -lsocket -lnsl
    > Undefined first referenced
    > symbol in file
    > EVP_aes_192_cbc ./libssh.a(cipher.o)
    > EVP_aes_256_cbc ./libssh.a(cipher.o)
    > ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to ssh
    > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    > make: *** [ssh] Error 1
    >
    > I have gone through the email archives and tried the various suggestions
    > made but non worked.

    Solaris 10's default OpenSSL doesn't have the 192 and 256 bit AES
    functions. That said, any of the following should have resolved it
    (assuming the patches did something sane):

    > I used the patches listed for acconfig.h, cipher.c and configure.ac. I
    > installed the SUNWcry, SUNWcryr packages as well. I've tried different
    > versions of openssl(0.9.7e, 0.9.7i 0.9.8a) as well. Still the compile
    > ends with the above error.

    > Any suggestions to what I should try next?

    If you haven't already, make sure you run "make distclean" before
    running configure each time.

    Run the "findssl.sh" (it's in the contrib dir) and see if there is
    another OpenSSL installation that configure is finding.

    Use "nm" to see if the required functions are in the libcrypto.{a,so}
    (eg "nm libcrypto.a | grep EVP_aes").

    Are there separate 32 bit and 64 bit libraries? If so, have you updated
    the one that matches the binary type you're trying to build?

    If none of those help then please open an OpenSSH bug
    (http://bugzilla.mindrot.org) and we'll see if we can figure it out.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.