Stalled login [CentOS 3.6 OpenSSH_3.6.1p2]

From: Damian Finol (damian_at_waogo.com)
Date: 11/18/05

    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 23:46:22 -0400

    Greetings,

    I'm having issues with OpenSSH in my Linux Server, the specs are as follows:

    CentOS 3.6
    OpenSSH_3.6.1p2
    Kernel 2.4.21-32.0.1ELsmp

    The current issue that I'm having is, in order for sshd to work correctly I
    have to boot my system in runlevel S and the activate network and ssh, if I
    run it as level 3 it just stalls after I type in my password.

    This is what I did to test this:

    I stopped the sshd service:
    Service sshd stop

    I switched to level 3
    Telinit 3

    I ran sshd with the debug flags (-D -ddd)

    And tried to login opening a new terminal:

    These are the last lines of the debug:

    debug1: userauth-request for user root service ssh-connection method
    password
    debug1: attempt 2 failures 2
    debug2: input_userauth_request: try method password
    debug3: mm_auth_password entering
    debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 10
    debug3: mm_auth_password: waiting for MONITOR_ANS_AUTHPASSWORD
    debug3: mm_request_receive_expect entering: type 11
    debug3: mm_request_receive entering

    On the terminal it says:
    root@ip's password:

    After I type the password it just stalls there.

    I checked iptables rules and flushed them all, It would still stall on
    debug3: mm_request_receive entering.

    No messages at all on /var/log/secure and messages.

    Thank you for any help on this subject.

    Regards,
    Damian Finol.

    • triyng to setup pam-ldap..
      ... I'm triyng to setup pam-ldap so I can use it with sshd. ... debug3: mm_request_receive entering ... debug1: userauth-request for user root service ssh-connection method password ...
      (Debian-User)
    • sshd delay
      ... (I get the same delay without -ddd, ... debug3: mm_request_receive entering ... The sshd process is in state sbwait during ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • openssh doesnt query user for password
      ... debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0 ... debug1: Connection established. ... debug3: check_host_in_hostfile: match line 1 ... debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 0 ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • PAM issues with 3.7p and 3.8p
      ... debug1: Bind to port 2200 on::. ... Server listening on:: port 2200. ... debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 28 ... debug3: mm_request_receive_expect entering: type 29 ...
      (SSH)
    • OpenSSH shell access failure
      ... debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA ... debug2: Network child is on pid 2007 ... debug3: preauth child monitor started ... debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 0 ...
      (SSH)