Openssh on NCR MP-RAS - millions of accept errors

From: Rogan Dawes (lists_at_dawes.za.net)
Date: 11/15/05

    Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:08:07 +0200
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hi folks

    I am trying to get Openssh 4.1p1 running on an NCR Unix MP-RAS server.
    It seems to be working fine, except it started logging millions of
    errors to the syslog daemon (which does not know how to summarise i.e.
    "repeated 100000 times")

    This ended up filling up the log partition (6 GB, in short order!)

    Here is an example of the error message:

    Nov 3 11:07:37 sshd[1565]: error: accept: No such device or address

    This error seems to map back to errno.h ENXIO == 6, but I couldn't find
    that error in the openssh source anywhere.

    I have restarted the SSH daemon, and it seems to be behaving itself, for
    the moment.

    Does anyone have any idea what may have caused this?

    Could it possibly be anything to do with an interface being downed? The
    machine in question does have multiple interfaces, but the sshd_config
    file is the stock-standard config that comes with openssh, and it is
    listening on the defaults:

    #Port 22
    #Protocol 2,1
    #AddressFamily any
    #ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
    #ListenAddress ::

    Does it seem possible that an accept loop could get into such a state,
    by changing the interface status?

    Many thanks for any suggestions.

    Rogan

    • Re: Changing out network card
      ... > I have a server running DHCPD, FTP, DNS, and OpenSSH. ... > DHCP, DNS and OpenSSH to use this new interface, or is there another way of ... Services usually care about IP addresses, not interface names. ...
      (freebsd-net)
    • Re: Changing out network card
      ... >> have to reconfigure my DHCP, DNS and OpenSSH to use this new ... > Services usually care about IP addresses, not interface names. ... and the "interface" parameter for natd, ...
      (freebsd-net)
    • sftp logging issue
      ... openssh 4.7.0.5301 ... I have sftp logging to a file and it works as I want it to - login ... isn't supported with AIX. ...
      (comp.unix.aix)
    • Re: SCP problem
      ... Does logging in with those credentials via the openSSH 'ssh' tool, ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: SSH Accounting ?
      ... I don't want to know the whole traffic which went over the ssh-port but the ... implementation offers user specific byte logging for the whole protocol. ... >> with OpenSSH 3.1. ... >> This means I want to calculate which user had how much traffic over ssh. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)