Re: Per-user public key/password selection possible?

From: RaphaŽl Marichez (raphael.marichez_at_polytechnique.org)
Date: 11/02/05

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 09:46:16 +0100

    > On a HP-UX 11 system we have an account that was created by a script, with
    > a locked account - i.e. a "*" in /etc/password
    > to prevent logging in to this account with password authentication. Could
    > it still be possible to log in with ssh using pubkey authentication?

    it works on linux, it may work on your system. I suppose your system is not
    using /etc/shadow

    Be sure that your user has a valid shell in /etc/passwd

    If you're using /etc/shadow, you may have a "x" in /etc/passwd (like every
    regular user) and something like a "*" or "!" in /etc/shadow (not sure this
    is necessary, but it works for me)

    e.g., to have an user nammed "save", used in automatique backup replication
    (fish) :
    /etc/passwd:
    save:x:108:108:,,,:/home/save:/bin/bash
    /etc/shadow: