Re: ssh: problem with publickey authentication

From: Rogan Dawes (
Date: 10/26/05

    Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:11:52 +0200
    To: Frans Englich <>

    Frans Englich wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have trouble getting ssh with publickey authentication to work. The server I
    > am attenmpting to log in to is not setup by me, but everything indicates that
    > 1) my user account exists on the machine(due to public_html page can be
    > visited); and 2) that the public key I sent was properly installed. The
    > server works fine for other users, and although it is possible the sysadmin
    > made a mistake in setting up my account, I think the error is on my side.
    > Perhaps someone can give a hint on where the problem is.
    > Below series of bash commands are perhaps illuminating. I can't tell more than
    > that authentication seems to fail.
    > bash-2.05b$ pwd
    > /home/frans
    > bash-2.05b$ ls .ssh/ -alFh
    > total 21K
    > drwxr-xr-x 2 frans users 160 Oct 23 20:26 ./
    > drwxrwxrwx 72 frans users 3.6K Oct 23 20:25 ../

    Looks to me like the problem may be with the permissions on your home

    Group and other should not have write access to your home directory, and
    your .ssh directory can be mode 700 (drwx------)

    • Re: IIS loses connection if someone uses Remote Desktop Connection to server
      ... so you have a FTP that has a virtual directory link to a novell server? ... > The System Log in the event viewer has an error for the MSFTPSVC that says:> User billboard failed to log on, could not access the home directory /. ... > The user account is the same account that the server is logged on with. ...
    • Re: How to declare a package in cgi directory?
      ... When the server is running under another user account envwill ... contain the home directory of that user, ... Do a "puts ...
    • Re: Login Failures
      ... What is the user account "msmith"? ... please check the SBS Server and the client computer from ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    • feasible w/ samba?
      ... There would be a master server called MASTER. ... John comes into building 2 for the day and logs in to domain2 domain. ... a script runs that maps his home directory to J: ...
    • Re: Testing email
      ... Internet Connection wizard -> Connect to the internet) to configure mail ... Click Start, click Server Management. ... pop3 server information, user account, mailbox type and so on. ... the issue and send the log files to me: ...