Re: X11 forwarding and DISPLAY variable

From: Robin Green (greenrd_at_greenrd.org)
Date: 10/13/05

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:36:59 +0000

    On Wednesday 12 October 2005 21:49, Bernd Prager wrote:
    > I read somewhere that the SSH server will set the DISPLAY variable for me.

    Only if the DISPLAY variable is already set when you run the client, otherwise
    it can't forward anything because it doesn't know what to forward :) I would
    advise running ssh from within your X server. With cygwin, you can do this.

    --
    Robin

    • Re: Setting TCP filter access for SSH connection
      ... Depends on the ssh server you are using. ... If you are using Cygwin to ... provide you with openssh, then it now includes TCP Wrappers. ... Senior System Administrator - Web Infrastructure & Security ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: having a problem with DRb
      ... You can then redistribute it as long as you confirm to the GPL, and / or just redistribute the installer. ... so you should be safe if you don't modify the Cygwin source and redistribute that. ... I have no idea, though, if this SSH server can interact with stuff outside of Cygwin, or if you have to compile Ruby within the Cygwin environment. ...
      (comp.lang.ruby)
    • Re: X
      ... > Using it first hand is inpractical because speach will not read it, ... Set up an ssh server on your fedora box and install Cygwin/X on your winxp box. ... with cygwin you can recompile many linux apps to run on your xp box. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: winsshd vs. me
      ... > I tried to install Bitvise Winsshd on a remote PC with Windows ME, ... > I'll use this PC as a ssh server. ... and it was possible to cancel or ignore. ... and which you can install as part of cygwin. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: free ssh server
      ... Is there any free implementation for ssh server is available in windows XP. ... With a little effort you can use the cygwin one or there are several others such as freeSSHd ...