question about x11 forwarding in ssh

From: Andre Charbonneau (andre.charbonneau_at_nrc-cnrc.gc.ca)
Date: 09/21/05

    Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:11:35 -0400
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hi,
    I'm currently trying to debug a SSH client implementation library which
    tries to do x11 forwarding. In the code it tries to open a socket to
    localhost:6000 when a x11 channel request arrives (on the ssh client
    side). But I get a 'connection refused'. I checked my system
    configurations and indeed my xserver is started with "-nolisten tcp", so
    this explains why I can't connect to port 6000.

    But I've read somewhere that someone should only open port 6000 only if
    they really really need it, and that they should use ssh x11 forwarding
    instead.

    But my question is: How does the SSH client (openSSH for example)
    forwards x11 when port 6000 is not open??? Does it use another, special
    port that it can connect to?
    Is there a document online that I can read that explains in details how
    ssh does the x11 forwarding?

    Thanks!
        Andre

    --
    Andre Charbonneau
    100 Sussex Drive, Rm 2025

    • Re: question about x11 forwarding in ssh
      ... The SSH client is actually an X client also. ... xlib to connect to the X server (via TCP Socket, ... to authenticate to the X server. ... > they really really need it, and that they should use ssh x11 forwarding ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: PUTTY as a PC SSH Client
      ... > I am looking to switch from my outdated PC SSH client to a new one and ... > PUTTY seemd to be the best choice for me. ... puTTY is the best ssh client i've found for win32 bar none ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: question about x11 forwarding in ssh
      ... But my question was geared toward what is happening on the ssh client ... open a socket connection to the local X server? ... socket to localhost, port 6000 (on the ssh client side, not on the sshd ...
      (SSH)
    • RE: X11 forwarding help
      ... "You could try setting up your own port redirection so that you can forward ... 6010 if they are in use already on intermediate and remote hosts. ... > I'm using ssh to do X11 forwarding over a gateway and it seems to work ... On the server, try setting X11UseLocalhost no ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: SSH, X11 forwarding and TCPIP V5.4
      ... > work for X11 forwarding. ... Not sure how to do it in PuTTY, but you can do manual port forwarding. ... I have tried encapsulating all of the above into a single ssh command ... invoking pipe with the set disp and DECW app all in one line, ...
      (comp.os.vms)