Re: ssh -R only listening on lo

From: Micha Borrmann (borrmann_at_syss.de)
Date: 09/16/05

    Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 11:05:27 +0200
    To: David Wolever <wolever@ftml.net>

    Hello,

    David Wolever schrieb:

    > I was playing around with `ssh -R` last night, and found
    > that (even with -g, if that switch applies to this) ssh
    > would only listen on the loop-back (127.0.0.1) address.
    > This means I can't connect back down the tunnel from the
    > server to the client from anywhere except the server.
    > The command line I used was:
    > ssh -vgR 8888:mylaptop:80 myserver
    > I looked through the verbose output and couldn't find much
    > useful information.

    on the ssh server GatewayPorts is not set by default

    in the sshd_config

    GatewayPorts yes

    will help you. Another way is (e.g. if you can't modify the
    sshd_config), after login do on myserver:

    ssh localhost -D 8080:localhost:8888

    then it works too

    HTH,

    Micha

    • Re: How do I FTP via a secure tunnel (set up instructions requested pls)
      ... > I too am using Serv-U as a server and tunnel via secure tunnel. ... port. ... So much for the server side. ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Tricky Site-to-Site VPN
      ... Sometimes the wizard acts up but almost always works. ... I am running an SBS 2003 with ISA 2004 server. ... their network securely (they insist it be done with an IPsec tunnel). ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: VPN Remote Access
      ... Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking) ... Server or going the OpenVPN route. ... Pro Remote Desktop through the tunnel to access the desktops. ...
    • Re: Open VPN worries
      ... I have several Open VPN server set up out there that don't require password to log into. ... They kill the tunnel when they log out. ... There are only two client machines that operate ... It is really not an issue at my home office as we are all "on site ...
      (Security-Basics)