Re: Ssh hangs after authentication

From: Jayson Anderson (sonick_at_sonick.com)
Date: 08/24/05

    To: Adam Kerrison <Adam.Kerrison@tideway.com>
    Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:47:50 -0700

    Without thinking too heavily about the many possibilities, the very
    first thing that pops into mind after 'Authenticate properly and then
    hang', is DNS. Bolstered by the fact that different sources result in
    different outcomes (works or doesn't, correct ?)

    First think I'd check is the resolver on the host itself; how is it
    resolving against the sources from which login occurs promptly after
    authentication, versus how is it resolving the sources from which login
    does not occur promptly (if at all) after authentication.

    My apologies if this is painfully obvious or checked long ago, but if
    it's not DNS then [discontiguous, etc.] routing is a close runner-up...

    Jayson

    On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 09:16 +0100, Adam Kerrison wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm having trouble with openssh when connecting from my Mac OS X (Tiger)
    > laptop at home to a Linux server in my office. When I'm in the office
    > everything works fine, when I'm at home the ssh connection just hangs.
    > I have an ADSL router at home which acts as a Firewall with NAT but I don't
    > believe the problem is there (see below). Also from home I have to use a
    > CiscoVPN but again I don't think that's the problem.
    >
    > When I connect via ssh it hangs right after the authentication has succeed
    > and just before I would expect the shell prompt. Running ssh -vvv shows all
    > the authentication steps and ends with:
    >
    > debug1: Authentication succeeded (publickey).
    > debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
    > debug3: ssh_session2_open: channel_new: 0
    > debug2: channel 0: send open
    > debug1: Entering interactive session.
    > debug2: callback start
    > debug2: ssh_session2_setup: id 0
    > debug2: channel 0: request pty-req
    > debug3: tty_make_modes: ospeed 9600
    > debug3: tty_make_modes: ispeed 9600
    > debug3: tty_make_modes: < ... Lots of theses, snipped ... >
    > debug2: channel 0: request shell
    > debug2: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY
    > debug2: callback done
    > debug2: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
    >
    > At this point its dead. I have to kill the local ssh client or remote sshd.
    > I ran up an sshd in debug mode to try and find out what's happening but
    > there's nothing in the logs that would indicate a problem.
    >
    > Now the final twist: If I use PuTTY from a Windows machine at home it works
    > fine. I have now downloaded and tried the Mac OS X version of PuTTY and that
    > also works!
    >
    > Searching back through the mail list archives I've seen several other people
    > reporting the same or similar issue but no resolutions - does anyone know
    > what's going on here because I'm really stumped! I have saved all the logs
    > if anyone wants to dig deeper (they are large so I didn't want to include
    > them) and I can run up test daemons etc.
    >
    > Sorry for the long post ...
    >
    > Adam K

    • Re: 5.3 SSH Unable to authenticate
      ... >system accepts the FreeBSD SSH key, ... >This is the message received from SecureCRT: ... >entitled Authentication, and here's what is shown on ... Maybe there a dns or hostname problem and SecureCRT is hanging up before ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • authentication hangs when disk > 80% full
      ... I don't know what auditd does or what it's connection to authentication is. ... trying to change user from an open window or go to root via "su" also hangs upon entering password. ... However, once you end your session and have no open windows into the machine, you are locked out entirely. ... I am not a system manager or IT person, nor am I a linux expert, just a linux user who needed to access his work PC to do work when our local linux experts are on their holiday vacation. ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: web spider and password protected pages
      ... > I've been writing a simple web spider for fun, ... > pass) when I hit a page that requires .htaccess authentication. ... > It hangs as soon as I call urllib.urlopen. ... First I looked for "python urlopen authentication". ...
      (comp.lang.python)
    • Re: "Edit in Microsoft Word" hangs browser
      ... Could it be bandwidth but since ... Also it could be an authentication issue, ... tried creating a new Word document which also hangs the browser. ...
    • Re: NNTP Server responses from a perl script?
      ... I'm working on my second ever perl script for a school ... > Authentication Required" ... > However, in Perl, when I open a socket connection to a news server ... > response, everything hangs. ...
      (perl.beginners)