Re: Redhat WS 4, AIX 5.2.0.4, X11 apps problem

From: Travis Johnson (travis_johnson_at_genpt.com)
Date: 08/23/05

    Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:23:01 -0400
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Update:

    I've been able to connect with remote X windows again, however, the
    solution to me seems...not right.

    I had to do a:

    xauth extract - $DISPLAY | ssh root@hqs6000q.genpt.net
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth merge -

    Then:

    ssh -Y root@hqs6000q.genpt.net DISPLAY=$DISPLAY nwadmin &

    Even though I get my window like I'm expecting, I didn't have to do it
    this way on Monday. Also, I thought ssh setup the DISPLAY variable for
    you when calling commands like the above. FYI, I also don't seem to
    need -X or -Y, they either work or don't work, depending on me adding
    the DISPLAY portion of the command. What might I have changed that
    would effect the DISPLAY not working? I'm still getting the "Set
    program group failed: Not owner" even when the window appears. Anybody
    know what that might be?

    --
    Travis Johnson
    Barry Brimer wrote:
    > Quoting Travis Johnson <travis_johnson@genpt.com>:
    >

    >>Greetings,
    >>
    >>	Yesterday I began experiencing problems with my new install of redhat
    >>WS 4.  In the morning I was able to connect to my AIX 5.2.0.4 machines
    >>and make X11 apps show up on my desktop.  By the end of the day I tried
    >>to connect to these same servers and can no longer get X windows to
    >>start up.  I've done an xhost+ even to see if that would help and it did
    >>not.  So now I'm to the point where I'm running ssh in debug mode and I
    >>come across this error I've never seen before and googling for it
    >>doesn't return any results.  Here is a copy of the error I'm receiving:
    >

    > <snip>
    >
    >>Now I've done a xhost+ to ensure that doesn't cause problems.
    >>hqs6000q.genpt.net is the AIX box.  tjohnson is the redhat WS 4 box.
    >>I can successfully connect to other Redhat ES/AS servers and do X-apps,
    >>only the AIX servers now don't work.  Those other Redhat servers can
    >>successfully connect and run X-apps.  It appears to only be my
    >>workstation that's broke.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    >

    > I believe the default setting for X11 forwarding changed in RHEL 4.  Try using
    > ssh -X which will explicity enable X11 forwarding.
    >

    > Barry

    • number 2
      ... Remember, we're talking about Windows Platforms 95,98 ... provided with Cable/DSL dial-up accounts. ... Wrong IP no news. ... We aren't talking about News Servers here (at the ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • From Tracker....
      ... Remember, we're talking about Windows Platforms 95,98 ... provided with Cable/DSL dial-up accounts. ... Wrong IP no news. ... We aren't talking about News Servers here (at the ...
      (microsoft.public.security)
    • From Tracker....
      ... Remember, we're talking about Windows Platforms 95,98 ... provided with Cable/DSL dial-up accounts. ... Wrong IP no news. ... We aren't talking about News Servers here (at the ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)
    • Re: Linux is as buggy as Windows
      ... > gives his opinion and you attack him too. ... Not just Linux, so don't think I'm ... > and details what I've already suspected and stated countless times before- that Micro$oft is playing BigBrother at its Windows Update Sites. ... databases, spread-sheets, games, webservers, ftp servers, secure-shell ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • From Tracker....
      ... Remember, we're talking about Windows Platforms 95,98 ... provided with Cable/DSL dial-up accounts. ... Wrong IP no news. ... We aren't talking about News Servers here (at the ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)