Re: Anyone with a technique for accomplishing chroot using sftp

From: Robin Green (greenrd_at_greenrd.org)
Date: 08/09/05

    Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 01:18:25 +0100
    To: Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>

    On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 02:16:38PM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:

    > I've done a number of web searches, and haven't seen any solid answers.
    >
    > It seems like there's no built-in support for chroot using the
    > sftp-server program that comes with OpenSSH. (I'm using 3.6.1p1 on
    > FreeBSD). Am I mistaken? If not, does anyone have a working hack to
    > get chroot capability?

    Yes. It's called rssh:

    http://www.pizzashack.org/rssh/index.shtml

    Works fine for me.

    NOTE: The old homepage at rssh.sourceforge.net is OUT OF DATE and links
    to an insecure old version. Ignore that old homepage!

    --
    Robin

    • Anyone with a technique for accomplishing chroot using sftp
      ... It seems like there's no built-in support for chroot using the ... sftp-server program that comes with OpenSSH. ... Bill Moran ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: Anyone with a technique for accomplishing chroot using sftp
      ... > It seems like there's no built-in support for chroot using the ... does anyone have a working hack to ... Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (FreeBSD) ...
      (SSH)
    • [UNIX] Rssh Root Privileges Escalation
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Rssh Root Privileges Escalation ... Rssh with SUID chroot allows attackers to gain root accesses and become ...
      (Securiteam)
    • rssh: root privilege escalation flaw
      ... rssh is a restricted shell which allows a system administrator to ... It also allows the system administrator the ability to ... chroot users to a configurable location. ... By careful configuration of file system mounts, ...
      (SSH)
    • rssh: root privilege escalation flaw
      ... rssh is a restricted shell which allows a system administrator to ... It also allows the system administrator the ability to ... chroot users to a configurable location. ... By careful configuration of file system mounts, ...
      (Bugtraq)