Re: Effective bandwidth reduction over WAN

From: Terry Browning (linux-focus_at_nihil.co.uk)
Date: 08/02/05

    Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:43:01 +0100
    To: e.meijer@verizon.net

    Eric Meijer wrote:
    > To SSH mailing list:
    >

    > I have a somewhat unusual question. I do not know if this issue is
    > truly a bug or just a feature of the protocol.
    >

    > I have two sites that are distantly connected to each other via a DS3
    > WAN. When we tried to replace FTP with SCP or SFTP we ran into
    > throughput problems. We then set up a test in our lab to see if we
    > could isolate the factor that was impacting throughput. This test setup
    > was composed of two nodes hooked up through a WAN emulator. They were
    > connected using Gigabit Ethernet, but the rate was throttled back to 45
    > mbps (DS3 rate). All of the testing used an MTU of 1500 and files sizes
    > of 10 MB, 100Mb, 1 GB, and 5 GB. We ran FTP tests with the same setup
    > for a baseline. For SCP and SFTP we tried each of the three encryption
    > algorithms (3-des, arcfour, & blowfish). We then varied the WAN
    > latency. We are using the latest version of the Portable SSP for
    > Solaris. The OS is Solaris 8.
    >

    > The results were
    >

    > 0 latency FTP Ave. 39.5 mbps SCP Ave. 39.4 mbps SFTP
    > Ave. 38.8 mbps
    >
    > 60 millisec FTP Ave. 37.7 mbps SCP Ave. 2.9 mbps SFTP
    > Ave. 2.9 mbps
    >
    > 100 millisec FTP Ave. 33.0 mbps SCP Ave. 2.0 mbps SFTP
    > Ave. 1.8 mbps
    >

    > Can anyone tell me why the throughput of SCP and SFTP drop so
    > drastically when we try to use SSP protocols over a WAN?
    >

    > Eric Meijer

    I don't know the answer to the question, but the problem rings a bell.
    Have you considered testing rsync-over-ssh under the same conditions?
    IIRC, one of the rsync design objectives was maintaining good throughput
    over high latency connections.

    • Re: Cisco 2651XM high cpu usage 12.4(25b)IPBASEK9
      ... Could I expect 14mbit full throughput, when downloading from 2x WIC ADSL ... Mbps _ PPS. ... is limited by packet rate, packet size in effect does not matter. ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB
      ... i learn that my LAN throughput is like 200 to 300 Mbps which is quite ... the 1000 Mbps throughput. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)
    • RE: query on firewall throughput.....
      ... if I have a 100 mbps network card in my workstation and I ... might be the firewall if it only has 10 mbps throughput. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Optimal throughput speed on a 802.11b wlan
      ... >modem throughput is around 15-20mbps. ... >speeds of around 3.5-3.8 mbps pretty consistantly. ... TX antenna gain = 19dBi ...
      (alt.internet.wireless)
    • Effective bandwidth reduction over WAN
      ... I have two sites that are distantly connected to each other via a DS3 WAN. ... When we tried to replace FTP with SCP or SFTP we ran into throughput ... but the rate was throttled back to 45 mbps. ...
      (SSH)