Re: OpenSSH_4.1p1 hangs on exit using PAM/ChallengeResponse

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_zip.com.au)
Date: 08/02/05

    Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 01:16:59 +1000
    To: Dustin Hoff <dustin+ssh@dustinhoff.com>

    Dustin Hoff wrote:
    > I am having some problems with 4.1p1 on Solaris 2.6-8 using the RSA
    > PAM module (v5.3.2) for SecurID authentication. The initial login
    > works fine, but the session hangs when I exit and it doesn't close
    > until I kill the sshd on the server or close it with ~.. And no,
    > I'm not running anything in the background.
    [...]
    > Is this one of the "known" problems that the FAQ alludes to? Or
    > am I missing something trivial?

    It's not a known problem as far as I know.

    I would guess that the pam_securid module is leaking a file descriptor
    which remains open during the session, and when you log out sshd is
    waiting for the descriptor to close.

    This is easy to check: log in find out the pids of your shell and its
    parent sshd, then use "lsof -p [pid]" to see what descriptors they have
    open. Then log out and repeat the process and see if any descriptors
    remain.

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.