Re: Duplicate ssh session

From: Peter Kjellström (cap_at_nsc.liu.se)
Date: 07/15/05

    To: konradl@poczta.onet.pl
    Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:01:26 +0200

    Hello,

    If I understand you correctly then the command screen is what you're looking
    for. It's not directly integrated into you ssh-session or anything but it
    does give you as many terminals as you want within the same ssh-session.

    really short userguide for screen:

    * login
    * run "screen" to create a new screen if you don't have one
      run "screen -ls" to list existing screens
      run "screen -r" to re-attach to an existing screen
      run "man screen" for the manual page
    * use "Ctrl+a c" to Create a new terminal
      use "Ctrl+a n" to switch to the Next terminal
      use "Ctrl+a d" to Detach from your screen (you can re-attach at next login)
      use "Ctrl+a ?" to get help (somewhat messy)

    Pros:
    * you can close down the ssh-session without killing the screen
    * you can have as many screens as you like and as many windows in a screen as
    you like
    * you can login from a different place and continue working were you left off
    * you're un-affected by network problems or even a reboot of you client
    machine

    Cons:
    * screen needs to be installed (comes with every linux dist I know though)
    * it can be confusing if you have to many screens ;-)

    sorry if this wasn't what you were looking for,
     Peter

    On Thursday 14 July 2005 21.58, Konrad LUDWIKOWSKI wrote:
    > On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 03:49:37PM +0100, Justin Finkelstein wrote:
    > > I use PuTTY all the time, in Windows and to get a duplicate session,
    > > you click the top-left icon in the window (I forget what this is
    > > actually called) and select 'duplicate session'.
    >
    > Yes, that is true - but in PUTTY you have to input credentials
    > (username/password) and on the server new sshd will be forked for you - but
    > in F-Secure ypu simply get independend shell without need to log in.
    >
    > Rgds,
    > Konrad
    >
    > > On 7/14/05, Konrad LUDWIKOWSKI <konradl@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I use comercial SSH client called F-Secure SSH client and putty. One of
    > > > the best feature od F-Secure is the ability do duplicate (better
    > > > multiplexing) ssh session. In F-Secure if you are logged in and click
    > > > "New Terminal Window" you will get another terminal (without suppling
    > > > credentials). From server point of view it looks like this:

      Peter Kjellström               |
      National Supercomputer Centre  |
      Sweden                         | http://www.nsc.liu.se

    • Re: Best practices for terminal cursor control
      ... "Display Manager from DRI" ... providing control codes for a variety of terminals. ... resident on disk during the various phases of designing screens. ...
      (comp.os.cpm)
    • Re: Opinions sought on proposed Z8E changes.
      ... which provided terminal-independent programming in their high-level ... could be used to support 2 independent terminals. ... But, again, using 2 terminals with a debugger is quite specialized. ... MP/M-II (as far as I know, SIMH allows you to use several screens. ...
      (comp.os.cpm)
    • Re: How the word processor changed literature
      ... sheet of bright, white, eye-straining, monitor-wearing screens. ... I find dark on white to be much easier on my eyes. ... I was using black on white on VT100 terminals. ...
      (rec.arts.sf.written)
    • Re: Graphical Terminal Environment
      ... an x11 that only supports tiling xterms all over the place. ... do everything through terminals, and I think it'd be a fun project to make ... screen to its fullest (larger resolutions, smaller fonts, etc). ... screens, and I was actually thinking `screen` would do the trick for the ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • LHR terminal 5 departure lounge: first impressions
      ... Another obvious issue was the departure listing screens. ... monitors in the other terminals, and the seating doesn't appear to be ... Telephones did exist but were hard to find. ...
      (rec.travel.air)