Re: Duplicate ssh session

From: Peter Kjellström (cap_at_nsc.liu.se)
Date: 07/15/05

    To: konradl@poczta.onet.pl
    Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:01:26 +0200

    Hello,

    If I understand you correctly then the command screen is what you're looking
    for. It's not directly integrated into you ssh-session or anything but it
    does give you as many terminals as you want within the same ssh-session.

    really short userguide for screen:

    * login
    * run "screen" to create a new screen if you don't have one
      run "screen -ls" to list existing screens
      run "screen -r" to re-attach to an existing screen
      run "man screen" for the manual page
    * use "Ctrl+a c" to Create a new terminal
      use "Ctrl+a n" to switch to the Next terminal
      use "Ctrl+a d" to Detach from your screen (you can re-attach at next login)
      use "Ctrl+a ?" to get help (somewhat messy)

    Pros:
    * you can close down the ssh-session without killing the screen
    * you can have as many screens as you like and as many windows in a screen as
    you like
    * you can login from a different place and continue working were you left off
    * you're un-affected by network problems or even a reboot of you client
    machine

    Cons:
    * screen needs to be installed (comes with every linux dist I know though)
    * it can be confusing if you have to many screens ;-)

    sorry if this wasn't what you were looking for,
     Peter

    On Thursday 14 July 2005 21.58, Konrad LUDWIKOWSKI wrote:
    > On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 03:49:37PM +0100, Justin Finkelstein wrote:
    > > I use PuTTY all the time, in Windows and to get a duplicate session,
    > > you click the top-left icon in the window (I forget what this is
    > > actually called) and select 'duplicate session'.
    >
    > Yes, that is true - but in PUTTY you have to input credentials
    > (username/password) and on the server new sshd will be forked for you - but
    > in F-Secure ypu simply get independend shell without need to log in.
    >
    > Rgds,
    > Konrad
    >
    > > On 7/14/05, Konrad LUDWIKOWSKI <konradl@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I use comercial SSH client called F-Secure SSH client and putty. One of
    > > > the best feature od F-Secure is the ability do duplicate (better
    > > > multiplexing) ssh session. In F-Secure if you are logged in and click
    > > > "New Terminal Window" you will get another terminal (without suppling
    > > > credentials). From server point of view it looks like this:

      Peter Kjellström               |
      National Supercomputer Centre  |
      Sweden                         | http://www.nsc.liu.se