Re: FW: No longer can connect

From: Andrew Haninger (ahaning_at_gmail.com)
Date: 07/03/05

    Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 20:42:33 -0400
    To: nate@teradigm.us

    On 7/1/05, Nathan Zabaldo <nate@teradigm.us> wrote:
    > I've read the manual on how to generate keys, but it is too cryptic for me
    > not being a linux guy quite yet.
    I thought you were using OS X? ;-)

    > Please someone spell it out for me. This is what I am looking for please
    > fill in the blanks.
    I hate fill-in-the-blank tests >:-[

    > On my box I have users that I have set up that I want to be able to use
    > Putty to connect remotely via sshd. Sshd is now installed and up and
    > running. For my users to connect I have to (blank) in each of my user's
    > accounts.
    Nothing. SSH should allow you to log in as anybody (except maybe root)
    without doing anything to any accounts. (To log in as root, you'll
    need to [un-]comment a line in the sshd_config file. Leave this alone
    for now since root login is disabled for a reason!)

    > For example in a terminal on the box when I am logged into a users account
    > type in:
    >
    > (Please fill in the blank.)
    From an xterm, you should just have to type: ssh user@localhost

    You can do fancier stuff like compression and X-forwarding with flags
    (-C and -X, respectively). X-forwarding over SSH is much easier than
    whatever you do without it. Then you can create SSH tunnels using -L
    and -R.

    PuTTY should only require the server name. It will prompt you for
    username and password.

    The previous suggestion of installing "normally" from the command line
    might work better than installing from Webmin. Webmin might use
    special configuration methods that openssh doesn't expect.

    If you've not installed from source before, this might get a little
    tricky. Basically, I think you'll need to install fink (? for GNU
    stuff to run?), openssl (provides the library that openssh uses for
    encryption), and openssh (duh). I think the "standard" ./configure &&
    make && make install is all that's required, but one of the packages
    (openssl or openssh, I forget which) uses ./config or ./Config, so be
    careful!

    > I'm sure this is simplistic to some people out there, but rocket science to
    > a Windows guy trying to get away from Windows.
    The learning curve is high, but the payoff is great.

    There. How'd I do? :-)

    -Andy