prngd and AIX 5.3

From: Kaysee Long (kaysee_at_us.ibm.com)
Date: 05/31/05

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 17:13:49 -0400

    I have a person asking me if prngd is needed for openssh on aix 5.3, we
    have always had prngd but I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true
    or not and if it is do i compile openssh without prngd in it? His
    complaint is prngd is taking too much cpu....Kaysee

    • Re: prngd usage on OpenSsh4.3p2
      ... AIX 5.1 and I am trying to build it with prngd ... At OpenSSH build time, if the RNG isn't self-seeded configure automatically builds "ssh-rand-helper", which is an external process that runs around collecting entropy from various sources, mashing them together and returning the result to whichever process ran it. ...
      (SSH)
    • RE: prngd usage on OpenSsh4.3p2
      ... my company is switching over to ssh and we have an old RS6000 ... Subject: prngd usage on OpenSsh4.3p2 ... OpenSSL itself checks if there's a decent entropy source on your system ... At OpenSSH build time, if the RNG isn't self-seeded configure ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: prngd and AIX 5.3
      ... > I have a person asking me if prngd is needed for openssh on aix 5.3, ... > have always had prngd but I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true ... You don't need prngd on AIX 5.2 as it has a real kernel-based random ... Most modern OpenSSLs will search for a random device first, ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: OpenSSh on OpenServer
      ... Subject: OpenSSh on OpenServer ... Couldn't connect to PRNGD socket ... * the prngd start script uses a pid file but doesn't handle it sanely and so ... the lockfile exists, and refuses to stop (or do other stop related actions ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)
    • Open SSH v3.6.1p1
      ... I'm trying to get Open SSH v3.6.1p1 to install on one of my AIX ... I'm following the IBM tutorial:Deploying OpenSSH on AIX ... Also I'm using GCC v3.2.1 and PRNGD v0.9.27. ... cannot get the compiler options to use the PRNGD (Pseudo ...
      (SSH)