Suse crash while FTP'ing across SSH, looking for culprits

From: Julian Opificius (julianop_at_barnlea.com)
Date: 05/31/05

    Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 13:41:18 -0500
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Running Suse 9.2, up to date via Yast, as a server with OpenSSH
    3.9p1-3.2. I have been successfully connecting using CVS/pserver and
    PuTTY for a couple of weeeks.

    This weekend I connected in from remote location using WSFTP Pro 9.01 in
    FTP/SSH mode to download a Windows directory tree mounted to the Suse
    server via smbmount.

    After transfer was successfully completed, Linux went down hard as I
    tried to start another transfer.

    I repeated process using direct a LAN connection with the same result.

    The "messages" log shows :
    May 29 01:27:40 engsrv sshd[13206]: Accepted publickey for <my name
    deleted> from
      <my IP deleted> port 12690 ssh2
    May 29 01:27:40 engsrv pure-ftpd: (?@localhost) [INFO] New connection
    from local
    host
    May 29 01:27:40 engsrv pure-ftpd: (?@localhost) [INFO] Logout.
    May 29 01:27:41 engsrv sshd[13209]: subsystem request for sftp
    May 29 11:50:29 engsrv syslogd 1.4.1: restart.

    text in <> is my comment.

    I deduce from the timestamps that the "subsystem request for sftp" line
    is the last thing written before the crash.

    I don't know who to suspect yet. Can anyone offer any relevant
    experiences, please?

    Thanks,

    julian.

    • Re: Forms authentication - change password
      ... Contact the server administrator. ... I think your authentication validation method needs to be set to ... the change password feature within ISA ... | | meant not connecting to a Global Catalog. ...
      (microsoft.public.isa)
    • Re: SBS Slow user logons problem
      ... Microsoft MVPs ... Are the workstations and Server all connecting their nics to a router? ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: SBS Slow user logons problem
      ... Microsoft MVPs ... Are the workstations and Server all connecting their nics to a router? ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Outlook RPC over HTTP
      ... Now its checked it does not connect VPN ... In case it matters i have gone into IIS on the Server and checked the ... Proxy Setttings: ... mutually authenticate the sesssion when connecting with SSL: ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Outlook RPC over HTTP
      ... Now its checked it does not connect VPN or otherwise. ... In case it matters i have gone into IIS on the Server and checked the server ... exchange but I think it is connecting over TCP/IP. ... Proxy Setttings: ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)