sshd:cipher_encrypt: bad plaintext length 3

From: ankush grover (ankush1711_at_gmail.com)
Date: 05/25/05

    Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:05:30 +0530
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hey friends,

    This is my first post to this list.I am running a Fedora Core 3 server
    in my domain.I have configured CVS,Samba and Mail Server on FC3
    machine.

    I am having some problem with ssh on my machine.Whenever I try to
    start the SSHD service on FC3 it gives error " sshd:cipher_encrypt:
    bad plaintext length 337".I tried to find the solution to this problem
    on google but nothing much was written about it.

    The problem started after I tried to make key based access for my CVS
    users .I was using Wincvs as client for acessing CVS server.I
    installed cygwin and also installed openssh for cygwin on windows Xp
    pro with SP2 .The ssh protocol was working fine with password
    authentication but when I tried to make it work with key based access
    it failed.

    I tried some commands also to trace the problem for failing of ssh on
    my Fedora Core 3.

    Below is what I tried to do to solve the problem

    a)egrep -v '^$|^#' /etc/ssh/sshd_config

    The output of this command is

    ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
    SyslogFacility AUTHPRIV
    LogLevel INFO
    PasswordAuthentication yes
    ChallengeResponseAuthentication no
    GSSAPIAuthentication yes
    GSSAPICleanupCredentials yes
    UsePAM yes
    X11Forwarding yes
    Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server

    b) Ouput of strace -x /etc/init.d/sshd start

    write(1, "FAILED", 6FAILED) = 6
    rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8) = 0
    rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
    write(1, "\33[0;39m", 7) = 7

    c) Output of bash -x /etc/init.d/sshd start

    + echo -n FAILED
    FAILED+ '[' color = color ']'
    + echo -en '\033[0;39m'

    I have only posted some part of the log which was shown in red color
    after I issued these commmands.

    On Fedora Core 3 the "openssh-3.9p1-8.0.1.i386.rpm " version is
    installed.All the rpms needed for openssh are installed like
    clients,ask-pass,ask-gnome,server .

    Please guide me in solving this problem.

    Thanks & Regards

    Ankush Grover

    • Problem with restrictive login
      ... just popped up today on my home mail server which has SSH ... JUST public key. ... # Kerberos TGT Passing does only work with the AFS kaserver ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: relay access denied
      ... GK> 192.168.3.* network and using some MUA there. ... GK> those hassels and use some local MUA. ... Set up a mail server on the 192.168.3. ... Then use ssh ...
      (comp.mail.misc)
    • Re: [opensuse] How to tell ssh to log in as machine name.domain.tld?
      ... When using ssh outbound from that box, how do you tell it to ssh as ... I mean, what logic on the box looks to bind dns and says, "I want to be known as mail today? ... server to a new mail server. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: tuning Load Average for sendmail [RefuseLA]
      ... Yes I run my sendmail on Linux, Fedora Core 1 ... which is before my mail server, even if I have problems with them ... and some extra checks for "black sheep" countries. ...
      (comp.mail.sendmail)
    • Re: Tunneling smtp with exim4
      ... > Now I would like to tunnel my outgoing email over ssh, ... I had the same problem reaching a relaying mail server through a tunnel. ... user = <local user> in the line after the ssh command. ...
      (Debian-User)