Re: OpenSSH 4.0p1 ignores password authentication

From: Michael Tross (
Date: 05/19/05

    Date: 19 May 2005 08:09:14 -0000
    ('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) In-Reply-To: <>

    >I recently compiled OpenSSH 4.0p1 with OpenSSL 0.9.7g on my Linux
    > machine. When I try to connect, the connection is
    >immediately closed. When I setup public key authentication, I am able
    >to login using my public key. However password authentication seems to
    >be ignored.

    I had the same setup and ran into the same problem after updating OpenSSH on my server.

    Adding "UsePAM yes" did it for me.

    Someone can explain the reason for this?

    • public key (RSA) authentication problem
      ... I can setup public key authentication and scp/sftp/ssh between two ... I have checked the permissions on the private ... The permissions on the public key file is 644. ...
    • [opensuse] FreeNX and public key authentication, problems logging in
      ... I only want public key authentication. ... I want NX to use a custom keypair, not the default supplied by FreeNX. ... KDE 4.3.4 (client and server) ...
    • Re: public key vs passwd authentication?
      ... > I have a client that's turned off public key authentication. ... > examination of the security aspect, it'd make my job a lot easier/ ... Is cryptography where security took the wrong branch? ...
    • Putty to Windows sshd server authentication problem
      ... I am having difficulty with public key authentication between a Putty client on one host and a SSH-Textia Windows server on another host. ... 1488:Ssh2AuthPubKeyServer: Received public key not authorized by authorization file. ...
    • Re: sftp upload to Windows 2003 EFS directory fails (using public key authentication)
      ... Windows user accounts, doesn't call LSA for authentication and therefore ... cannot access the user key store to get EFS key. ... access to the EFS-encrypted directory - that might work with public key ... > When I upload a file (via sftp client with public key authentication) ...