Re: x11 forwarding problems

From: Robert Hajime Lanning (robert.lanning_at_gmail.com)
Date: 05/17/05

    Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 10:57:30 -0700
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Has anyone looked to see if j2ssh client talks to the local X server via TCP?

    Most X servers (outside of standalone X terminals) don't listen for TCP
    connections anymore, by default. Instead they either use shared memory
    or Unix domain sockets.

    OpenSSH will connect to the local X server by what ever works, and the
    OpenSSH server emulates a TCP based X server.

    I have some applications that do not run via OpenSSH X forwarding. The
    X server emulation is not complete and I get bad X calls reported. They work
    fine localy. PerlTK seems to be this way. (Invalid Atoms reported.)

    --
    END OF LINE
           -MCP

    • suspect bug in vge(4)
      ... The high-level view of the problem is that the client seems to stall ... HTTPS server. ... not only printed for TLS/SSL issues but simply also for broken TCP ... To me it sounds like a broken implementation of hardware generated ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: Log Out Issues
      ... UDP is the way to go for internet games. ... Apparently the extra overhead in TCP can cause a lot more lag in your game, ... >> Lets say the client sends a log out request to the server reliably. ...
    • Re: Log Out Issues
      ... your perormance may be worse than TCP. ... would be if your protocol anticipates packet loss and does not ... >>> Lets say the client sends a log out request to the server reliably. ...
    • Re: [2.6.24.3][net] bug: TCP 3rd handshake abnormal timeouts
      ... server via TCP and non-persistent connections and all application level ... "Sometimes" when establishing a TCP connection to the server, ... Here is a simplified version of what _both_ the server and the client ...
      (Linux-Kernel)