Re: [infosec-discuss] x11 forwarding problems

From: Oliver Leitner (shadow333_at_gmail.com)
Date: 05/17/05

    Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:17:13 +0200
    To: infosec-discuss@googlegroups.com

    Andre Charbonneau wrote:

    > Hi,
    > If I connect to a openssh server (SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.8p1, running on
    > SuSE Linux 9.1 (i586)) using a openssh client (OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL
    > 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004, running on SuSE Linux 9.2 (i586)), then X11
    > forwarding works fine.
    >
    > But, if I use j2ssh as a ssh client to connect to the same sshd, then I
    > get the following error in the sshd debug output:
    >
    > debug1: channel 3: new [X11 connection from 127.0.0.1 port 36470]
    > channel 3: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
    >
    > I've been trying to find what might be the problem for a few days now
    > but with no success.
    > I understand that this is not the place to ask questions about j2ssh.
    > But what I would like to know is the following: In general, is there a
    > well known condition, either at the client or server side, which would
    > cause such a 'connection refused'?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Andre

    sounds like the problem is not on the x11 side, take a look on the
    client that is running j2ssh, maybe something's wrong there...

    im myself not yet using j2ssh, but id look on the local setup, are there
    any firewalls on the client, how about proxies, and so on...

    i hope i could help you.

    Greetings
    Oliver Leitner
    Technical Staff