Re: [infosec-discuss] x11 forwarding problems

From: Oliver Leitner (
Date: 05/17/05

    Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:17:13 +0200

    Andre Charbonneau wrote:
    > Hi,
    > If I connect to a openssh server (SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.8p1, running on
    > SuSE Linux 9.1 (i586)) using a openssh client (OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL
    > 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004, running on SuSE Linux 9.2 (i586)), then X11
    > forwarding works fine.
    > But, if I use j2ssh as a ssh client to connect to the same sshd, then I
    > get the following error in the sshd debug output:
    > debug1: channel 3: new [X11 connection from port 36470]
    > channel 3: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
    > I've been trying to find what might be the problem for a few days now
    > but with no success.
    > I understand that this is not the place to ask questions about j2ssh.
    > But what I would like to know is the following: In general, is there a
    > well known condition, either at the client or server side, which would
    > cause such a 'connection refused'?
    > Thanks,
    > Andre

    sounds like the problem is not on the x11 side, take a look on the
    client that is running j2ssh, maybe something's wrong there...

    im myself not yet using j2ssh, but id look on the local setup, are there
    any firewalls on the client, how about proxies, and so on...

    i hope i could help you.

    Oliver Leitner
    Technical Staff

    • Re: HP-UX: ssh connections ignore CTRL+C interrupts
      ... > When I start sshd from an interactive shell, ... stty settings should probably be considered "uninitialized variables". ... The proper way for stty settings to be established is by the client. ... If you start a Unix/Linux based SSH client from a shell session, ...
    • Re: SFTP and FSSEC error
      ... Do you see this when running the z/OS sftp client or the sftp-server (IOW, ... check syslogd for the sshd daemon for messages. ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ... send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO ...
    • Disabling reverse dns lookups
      ... My situation is that I have sshd behind a NAT. ... record, as this is a cable modem connection, so the ISP controls that. ... /etc/krb5.conf on the client, yet this doesn't seem to have had any ... The client is Kerberos 1.6.2 on Fedora 8, ...
    • opehssh shows two new processes upon connection
      ... When the client connects and additional 2 sshd processes are seen ... This is imporant to us because we want to use pam login_limits. ...