Re: Binding ssh to a loopback address

From: Chen Peng Lim (chenplim_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 05/07/05

    Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 11:23:23 -0700 (PDT)
    To: Darren Tucker <dtucker@zip.com.au>

    Thanks for the explanation ! that works !

    cp

    Darren Tucker wrote:

    > CP Lim wrote:
    >
    >> I was trying to forward a remote port to one at
    local (but not
    >> 127.0.0.1) by doing :
    >>
    >> ssh -b 127.0.0.2 -L80:localhost:80 remotehost
    >

    > That's a local forward, but what you're describing
    is a remote
    > forward. I'm assuming the command is correct but
    the description is
    > wrong (since you also said it works w/out the -b.
    >
    > Anyway, that command will try to bind the client's
    end of the SSH
    > connection to 127.0.0.2, so what you're trying to do
    is make an SSH
    > connection from 127.0.0.2 to your remotehost.
    Sending the connection
    > out 127.0.0.2 won't go anywhere (hence the "no route
    to host" error).

    > What you need to do is this:
    >
    > ssh -L 127.0.0.2:80:localhost:80 remotehost

    Discover Yahoo!

    • Re: Problem connecting to SSH, OpenVMS7.3-2, HP TCP/IP v5.4 patched
      ... warning: Authentication failed. ... connection lost (Connection closed by remote host.). ... So, as you can see, I am trying to make an ssh connection with the ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: [opensuse] Who does graphics rendering with ssh?
      ... I don't know if this helps the thread, but the way I would think of ssh is that ssh just gives you a terminal on the remote machine. ... When you add X11Forwarding you then have added the ability to run graphical applications on the remote and have them display locally. ... You are just adding a communication layer to what the basic ssh connection provides. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: pb with remote command cleanup
      ... Keepalives enable me to kill connection sooner or later but doesn't guarantee any remote command destruction and that is the real problem: if a user launch, using ssh, a remote process that is CPU intensive and then kill his terminal, the CPU intensive task is still running on the remote side despite the lost of the connection. ... do you know the way to ask for this kind of improvement in openSSH? ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: pb with remote command cleanup
      ... worrying about the remaining command that is still running on the remote ... side after connection lost. ... Keepalives enable me to kill connection sooner or later but doesn't ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • [ANN] pyKook 0.7.0 - task automation tool for Python, similar to Rake or Ant
      ... you can run commands on remote machines using ssh. ... Remote command execution is available. ...
      (comp.lang.python)