Re: Binding ssh to a loopback address

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_zip.com.au)
Date: 05/07/05

    Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 15:31:30 +1000
    To: CP Lim <chenplim@gmail.com>

    CP Lim wrote:
    > I was trying to forward a remote port to one at local (but not
    > 127.0.0.1) by doing :
    >
    > ssh -b 127.0.0.2 -L80:localhost:80 remotehost

    That's a local forward, but what you're describing is a remote forward.
      I'm assuming the command is correct but the description is wrong
    (since you also said it works w/out the -b.

    Anyway, that command will try to bind the client's end of the SSH
    connection to 127.0.0.2, so what you're trying to do is make an SSH
    connection from 127.0.0.2 to your remotehost. Sending the connection
    out 127.0.0.2 won't go anywhere (hence the "no route to host" error).

    What you need to do is this:

    ssh -L 127.0.0.2:80:localhost:80 remotehost

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

    • Re: Problem connecting to SSH, OpenVMS7.3-2, HP TCP/IP v5.4 patched
      ... warning: Authentication failed. ... connection lost (Connection closed by remote host.). ... So, as you can see, I am trying to make an ssh connection with the ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: [opensuse] Who does graphics rendering with ssh?
      ... I don't know if this helps the thread, but the way I would think of ssh is that ssh just gives you a terminal on the remote machine. ... When you add X11Forwarding you then have added the ability to run graphical applications on the remote and have them display locally. ... You are just adding a communication layer to what the basic ssh connection provides. ...
      (SuSE)
    • RE: Re: Remote connections
      ... Compliments of Cygwin you can setup a SSH server on ... connection through the SSH connection. ... Aside from creating a VPN tunnel and then performing a Remote Desktop ... Server Terminal Services and XP and 2003 server Remote Desktop machines. ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • Re: Do I need a VPN?
      ... Run an SSH server on your local PC - OpenSSH in your case, ... Schedule an outbound connect to your SSH server on the remote PC. ... port to a particular remote port. ... a connection from its 3G dongle, which is the only internet connection ...
      (uk.telecom.broadband)
    • Re: Connecting a remote workstation to a domain
      ... If you have more than a couple of remote workstations connecting to the SBS ... server via VPN, you really need to consider a Terminal Server in the main ... "Log in using a dial up connection" checkbox, ... roaming profile then synchronizes with the server over the VPN); ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)