Binding ssh to a loopback address

From: CP Lim (chenplim_at_gmail.com)
Date: 05/06/05

    Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 23:29:33 -0700
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    I was trying to forward a remote port to one at local (but not
    127.0.0.1) by doing :

    ssh -b 127.0.0.2 -L80:localhost:80 remotehost

    but got :

    ssh: connect to host d2 port 80: No route to host

    everything works fine without the "-b 127.0.0.2" option, and I tried a
    few 127.0.0.* addresses but all apart from 127.0.0.1 had the same error.

    I am using
    OpenSSH_4.0p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7g 11 Apr 2005
    on Cygwin / Windows 2000

    Did I miss anything (like setting up specific entries for the route
    table or installing extra driver) before running the ssh client?

    Thanks!

    • Re: ssh client hangs when default route is set
      ... ]2) the default route is set and the target host is up ... ]ssh does not work (in my LAN and even to localhost) when ... ]3) the default route is set and the target host is down. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Open SSH client error
      ... connect to host 83.229.64.51 port 22: ... because I already disabled the firewall and the selinux on this server ... I assume the ssh route should go out through your default gateway. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: F-17 SSH -
      ... [root@box9 .ssh]# ssh bobg@xxxxxxxxxxx ... ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.7 port 22: No route to host ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Looking for program that emails me when dhcp addr changes
      ... Now that It's easy to ssh from slak to linda over my internal LAN ... The client slak complains that there is no route to host. ... Does this mean I have to do something with the route command? ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: F-17 SSH -
      ... [root@box9 .ssh]# ssh bobg@xxxxxxxxxxx ... ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.7 port 22: No route to host ... box9 has no network route to 192.168.1.7. ...
      (Fedora)