Re: security advice

From: Robert L Sowders (rsowders_at_usgs.gov)
Date: 05/03/05

    To: "aaron wallace" <aaron@Agforest.com>
    Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 17:51:38 -1000

    I've setup rsync between three national systems that mirrored between
    themselves, but this is not really a good design, rsync is unidirectional.
     You can use it via a round robin like cron job between the systems. But
    it will get in trouble if you add too many systems. Unison,
    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/ is a better choice, it is
    bidirectional. But it only works between two systems.

    The best would probably be an Andrews File system to the desktop. But it
    is a synchronous file system. If two people try to update the same file
    at the same time, it used to be that the last write won. Now I believe
    that some type of merger takes place. http://openafs.org/ AFS is secure,
    works on many platforms and has other advantages too, like continuing when
    disconnected and then merging when connected.

    It's included in the kernel, Linux 2.6

    rls

    "aaron wallace" <aaron@Agforest.com>
    04/29/2005 02:42 PM

            To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
            cc:
            Subject: security advice

    i'm setting up a server that will be sending and recieving a bunch of
    xml,cvs,and image files back and forth on a daily basis to several other
    companies servers....

    I"m rulling linux. the other companies will be running all sorts of OS's

    I was thinking rsync over ssh with PKI so they can script the transfer
    using
    keys.....

    any problems with this? other ideas?

    Thanks
    awol

    • Re: new to rsync
      ... Copying directories from machine to machine? ... power problems they were having (that destroyed 15+ SCSI disk, ... looks to me like rsync is copying all files where the time stamp of the file ... one file system to another file system on the same machine? ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)
    • Re: rsync performance
      ... The other is a 5.4 with EXT3 for a file system. ... I should also note I'm using rsync 3.0.7: ... GFS takes out a lock on each file. ...
      (comp.unix.shell)
    • Re: new to rsync
      ... Is the confusion caused by using rsync in place of cpio -pmvd to copy files from one file system to another file system on the same machine? ... I made a one byte change using vim and resent it, it sent the whole file (same byte counts and speedup factor as before) ... a forked rsync child process to run on one core for the receiving process, ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)
    • Re: fastest way to copy a disk
      ... using rsync. ... You would have to write some sort of script to restore ACLs ... frequently updated file system to new disks with very ... If you do use ufsdump, perhaps it would be faster to ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: dd copy of FreeBSD-7.2 wont boot
      ... Because the source disk had suffered DMA errors and a few ... rsync merge the two. ... The "x" means don't cross file system boundaries, ... Actually using rsync to migrate a bad disk is preferrable over dd ...
      (freebsd-hackers)