Re: ssh going zombie

From: Peter Childs (dp_at_expressnationalcarriers.co.uk)
Date: 05/04/05

    Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 20:59:06 +0100
    To: Robert L Sowders <rsowders@usgs.gov>

    Robert L Sowders wrote:

    >on the server kill the ssh server then restart it with the -d flag to put
    >it into debug mode. This process will not fork and will write all debug
    >output to the stderr (the window you started it from), then connect with
    >winscp and try to duplicate the error you reported.
    >
    >it should give you some clues as to what is happening.
    >
    >rls
    >

    >Peter Childs <dp@expressnationalcarriers.co.uk>
    >04/28/2005 08:56 PM
    >

    > To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    > cc:
    > Subject: ssh going zombie
    >

    > Using sshd under Debian Unstable Openssh 0.9.7e
    >
    > When winscp disconnects from our server the scp process goes zombie
    >and the ssh process hogs the processor on the server. This only seams
    >to happern with winscp and not with scp or ssh under linux. If the
    >subprocess is removed from the sshd config file the a sub sshd process
    >goes zombie instead and the calling sshd process hogs the processor.
    >
    > I'm think it may have somthing to do with the way winscp talks to
    >sshd , but the winscp people seam to think this is a problem with sshd.
    >I get this feeling this is going to be a problem nobody has a clue on
    >and wishes to blame the other party.
    >

    >Peter Childs

        Ok after installing ssh 4.0 from source I've fixed the problem. It
    seams that 3.8 which is on debian sarge has a bug when it uses
    sftp-server in that it does not wait for the process to end and then
    hogs the processor.

    Peter CHilds

    • ssh going zombie
      ... Using sshd under Debian Unstable Openssh 0.9.7e ... This only seams ... goes zombie instead and the calling sshd process hogs the processor. ... but the winscp people seam to think this is a problem with sshd. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: SSH connection pause
      ... debug mode, you may get some clues from where the output pauses. ... you suggested I try running the *server* in debug mode ... I started the sshd in debug mode, ... Now for the interesting bit;-) If I then attempt a connection to the ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: more problems with host-based authentication
      ... we sent a hostbased packet, ... Why do you not run sshd in debug mode at the other end to see what it is ... At this end you are sending a host based request. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Operation would block
      ... my rsync over ssh process aborts. ... In the sshd ... debug mode I receive: "Operation would block". ... In syslog it says: ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: FC4: cannot connect to FC4 machine by telnet
      ... Sshd should be already up and running, simply download/install ... putty + winscp on your doze box ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)