RE: ssh.com sshd 3.2.x, really enforcing sftp-only

From: Mark Senior (Mark.Senior_at_gov.ab.ca)
Date: 04/25/05

    Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:22:40 -0600
    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>

    Hello again

    Thanks for the help some have already offered. A quick update - it's
    apparently slightly worse than I thought.

    With plink/putty, this doesn't work, but with openssh it does (my tests
    were from OS X and Solaris, other platforms should behave the same):

    ssh user@host cmd

    gives a full interactive shell. Grr.

    In my testing, at least I wasn't able to execute programs kept on shares
    accessible to the ssh server with

    ssh user@host \\server\share\program.exe

    so locking down the permissions on the server itself should be
    reasonably complete.

    I've found plenty of discussion of how to do this on a *nix server -
    just change your users' shells in /etc/passwd to /sbin/sftp-server (or
    wherever the sftp-server binary is kept), or to a simple program that
    will exit with an error message if its arguments are anything but "-c
    sftp-server".

    Apparently you can do the same thing using openssh + cygwin, since it
    involves making a "dummy" /etc/passwd file for cygwin programs to check.

    Regards
    Mark Senior

    ---End sensible content---

    • openssh to openssh scp ssh1 compatibility mode error
      ... i am aware of the ssh1 compatibility mode error problem when using scp ... to transfer files from an openssh client to a commercial ssh server. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: two SSH compatibility scenarios: can it work?
      ... We are required to use SSH to log into the Engineering lab machines. ... > server software displays this header upon telnet connection to port 22. ... I still use Windows on my notebook for application compatibility. ... > running OpenSSH 3.4p1. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: SSH
      ... >> OpenSSH client, SSH server will report at least one or more implementation ... When using an SSH client to ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Re: Zugriff auf Linux via SSH
      ... Es gibt natürlich freie SSH Tools (Putty, OpenSSH), die aber leider erst ... Somit hat sich unser Projekt immer zweigeteilt - halt die Server ... Applikation auf dem eigentlichen Server und dann auf den per SSH ...
      (microsoft.public.de.german.entwickler.dotnet.csharp)
    • Re: Trouble with X11 over SSH on Mandriva 2010.0
      ... If next clean install/update causes ssh to break, ... installed the sshd daemon/service package (OpenSSH Server) on the server. ... correct values for client and server. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)