Time Betweeen retries

From: Don Krajewski (xoind_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 04/25/05

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:17:29 -0500

    The current version running can vary from system to system depending on a
    lot of factors, but most are OpenSSH_3.9p1 and OpenSSL 0.9.7e (some are
    earlier versions). Not sure if there is anything else you might need.

    How does one configure delay on retries? The setting MaxAuthRetries sets the
    number of attempts, but then spawns another signin immediately. I would like
    to set this for a delay of say, 5 mins. This has the added benefit of not
    allowing my /var/log/secure to be enormous from brute force attack failures.
    Is there a way to configure this through sshd_config or will one have to do
    this via code modification? I have noticed that windows ssh server
    (comercial product) and what they call it after their renaming has this
    feature.

    Thanks.