Re[2]: publickey/password login

From: Daniel Gerzo (danger_at_rulez.sk)
Date: 04/19/05

    Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:56:17 +0200
    To: Coleman Kane <cokane@cokane.org>

    Naskladane pomutovane bunky Coleman,

    Tuesday, April 19, 2005, 12:56:06 AM, si napisal:

    > On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 07:54:47AM +0200, David E. Meier wrote:
    >> Hi list, just a short question:
    >>
    >> Is it possible to configure sshd (SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.5p1 on RH 9) to limit
    >> the root user to login using a publickey only while other system user
    >> still can login at the password prompt?
    >>
    >> Dave
    >>

    > You could put an invalid character in root's password field (disabling password logins)
    > like * or !. Then you could install public keys in .ssh/authorized_keys. Make sure
    > PermitRootLogin is enabled. That is how I've done that exact thing in the past.

    if he would do so, he won't be able to log in as root from local
    console anymore, so this isn't the best way how to do so.

    Dave: please, follow steps which were sent by others...

    --
    Sincerely,
    +----------==/\/\==----------+       (__)      FreeBSD
    |  DanGer <danger@rulez.sk>  |    \\\'',)      The
    | DanGer@IRCnet ICQ261701668 |      \/  \ ^    Power
    |   http://danger.rulez.sk   |      .\._/_)    To
    +----------==\/\/==----------+                 Serve

    • Re: Problem login locally to Linux RH9 box
      ... If i use simple user login, ... i use ssh from remote system, it allows me to login as root user. ... Search your logs. ... for what happens when you try normally with the root account. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Problem login locally to Linux RH9 box
      ... If i use simple user login, ... i use ssh from remote system, it allows me to login as root user. ... disabling remote root login via ssh - you should disable it there as ... Anyway, if you still want to mess with it, read the PAM Administration ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: Very simple script doesnt work in aix 4.1.4.0 - no idea why
      ... I am trying to run a very simple part of a larger script on aix 4.3 - ... echo "\tOK: Root user can't login directly remotely, ...
      (comp.unix.aix)
    • Very simple script doesnt work in aix 4.1.4.0 - no idea why
      ... I am trying to run a very simple part of a larger script on aix 4.3 - ... echo "\tOK: Root user can't login directly remotely, ...
      (comp.unix.aix)
    • Re: Problem login locally to Linux RH9 box
      ... I am facing a strange problem from last few weeks in my linux box. ... But If i use simple user login, it allows login access. ... su - root command and i logged in as root user. ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)