X11 Forwarding

From: Christ, Bryan (bryan.christ_at_hp.com)
Date: 04/18/05

    Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:46:07 -0500
    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>

    Does anyone know why my DISPLAY variable is not getting set? I have
    tried looking at the debug messages from

    ssh -vv -X user@host

    but I haven't seen anything suspicious. xauth is installed in the normal
    location and seems to run correctly (although I'm really not familiar
    with it). In my sshd_config file, the relevant options are set as:

    X11Forwarding yes
    X11DisplayOffset 10
    #X11UseLocalHost no
    #UseLogin yes

    I've spent quite a bit of time googling on this problem and haven't come
    up with anything yet. I suspect that it might have something to do with
    installing XFree86 on Slackware 9.0 after initial OS installation (using
    installpkg *.tgz on the relevant packages). I'm really at a loss for
    where to turn.

    Server is OpenSSH 3.5p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a
    Client is OpenSSH 4.0p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7f

    Thanks in advance!