Re: OpenSSH question of server keys on FreeBSD

From: Darren Tucker (dtucker_at_zip.com.au)
Date: 04/10/05

    Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:05:19 +1000
    To: joel d <joelgroup@gmail.com>

    joel d wrote:
    > When I test the server with "sshd -ddd", I get an error back from the
    > server which reads:
    > debug3: Not a RSA1 key file /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key

    That's not a problem because it shouldn't be an RSA1 (aka SSHv1) key, it
    should be a SSHv2 DSA key. For backward compatibility reasons, OpenSSH
    will attempt to read keys as RSA1 first, then try the SSHv2 types. You
    should find that line is followed immediately by something like:

    debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
    debug1: private host key: #2 type 2 DSA

    [...]
    > The clients connect to the server but the connect time is way over 60
    > seconds so I am bummed out. I have looked on the OpenSSH site and
    > googled for it but have not found a workable solution.

    You've checked these?
    http://www.openssh.com/faq.html#3.3

    Delays of 60+ seconds are usually DNS problems: check the forward *and
    reverse* lookups for both the client and server.

    If none of those help, at what point does the debug output from sshd
    freeze when attempting to log in?

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.