Re: problem with the latest version of ssh

From: Joseph Spenner (joseph85750_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 04/01/05

    Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 09:50:54 -0800 (PST)
    To: "Simon M. C. Butler" <simon@icmethods.com>

    Since you have no network connectivity from a certain
    location, I'd suspect routing or access list issues.

    There are some tests you can try from both locations:

    telnet oldserver 22
    telnet newserver 22

    You should see something like:

    Trying aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd...
    Connected to aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1

    Protocol mismatch.
    Connection closed by foreign host.

    Even if you have tcpwrappers, you'll still get:
    Trying aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd...
    Connected to aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    Connection closed by foreign host.

    Verify the network that both locations are on, and
    compare to the routing on the new system.

    It could also be an access list issue on the router.

    --- Leif Ericksen <leife@dls.net> wrote:
    > are you forcing it to only accept connections from a
    > specif ssh protocol
    > (1,2) /etc/ssh/sshd_config or do you have
    > TCPWrappers set?
    >
    > What are the /var/log/secure or likewise files
    > telling you on the server
    > that you can not access?
    >
    > just a few thoughts
    >
    > --
    > Leif Ericksen
    >
    > On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 10:37 -0800, Simon M. C.
    > Butler wrote:
    > > Hi, I.m hoping someone can shed some light on a
    > confusing problem for me.
    > >
    > > I administer 2 servers for sendmail/http/dns and
    > have recently just upgraded one of them (a solaris 8
    > sparc) to OpenSSH_4.0p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004
    > >
    > > The older machine is a redhat 6.2 x86 machine
    > running SSH Version 2.0.13
    > >
    > > I recently started work at a new company and i am
    > unable to ssh into the ssh-upgraded server remotely.
    > Nor will it service http requests from this
    > location. The older machine however works just fine
    > and I can ssh in no problem.
    > >
    > > The confusing thing is that when I try to access
    > my machines from a friends network the upgraded
    > machine works fine and I can log in using ssh.
    > >
    > > I am logging in using the latest version of putty
    > on the same win2k m/c in every case
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell what is about the upgraded ssh/ssl
    > machine that causes it to stop responding to ssh
    > requests (and http requests) from one particular
    > location but is ok from other locations. The other
    > machine running the older version of ssh works fine
    > and I.m able connect to it fine from my new work
    > location,
    > >
    > > TIA.
    > --
    > Leif Ericksen <leife@dls.net>

    http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Re: Network problem
      ... When the network connection "goes down", the ssh ... connection takes 20 seconds, and it finally succeeds. ... I don't know if I should concentrate on a network problem, ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • ssh, firewall, port forwarding
      ... I have a bit of trouble with ssh, hopefully you will have some tips ... Behind that device I have a private network of 10.0.0.x. ... the internet connection on both PCs works fine. ... We configured port forwarding on the DSL modem, ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • Re: What is The SSH?
      ... Building and Using SSH Tunnels ... What is an SSH tunnel? ... how to use it to make a connection to a server. ... You will need a working SSH client and server installation to build and test ...
    • Re: Problem connecting to SSH, OpenVMS7.3-2, HP TCP/IP v5.4 patched
      ... warning: Authentication failed. ... connection lost (Connection closed by remote host.). ... So, as you can see, I am trying to make an ssh connection with the ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Keeping OpenSSH connections alive
      ... The TCP connection is timing out, not the SSH session. ... You can then, reconnect to the backgrounded screen session, upon relogin. ...
      (SSH)