sftp security

From: Fonseca Mario (Mario.Fonseca_at_lbhf.gov.uk)
Date: 03/24/05

    Date:  Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:15:37 -0000
    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>

    Hi,

    I have 2 questions about sftp. Firstly a little background. I'm running a Linux Enterprise distro with OpenSSH3.6.1. I have tried to chroot my sftp session but when I try it just hangs and there are no error messages generated (noting odd when I use sftp -v). I have tried to patch the stfp-server subsystem (and realise that its not supported by OpenSSH) but was wondering why this was the case.

    My second question is related. Its appears that when I do use a sftp session (non chroot patch) I can navigate around the whole filesystem. Does sftp not use the underlying file permissions on the server? Can I make it do so?

    Thanks in advance

    Mario

    DISCLAIMER:
    The information contained in this e-mail is intended for the recipient or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain confidential information that is exempt from disclosure by law and if you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any act in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete from your system.
    Whilst we make every effort to keep our network free from viruses, you need to verify that this email and any attachments are virus-free, as we can take no responsibility for any computer virus which might be transferred by way of them.