Re: interactive and login shells: bug or design decision ?

From: Greg Wooledge (wooledg_at_eeg.ccf.org)
Date: 03/24/05

    Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 07:54:46 -0500
    To: Cristian Zoicas <zoicas@ictp.trieste.it>

    On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 05:07:58PM +0100, Cristian Zoicas wrote:
    > When ssh is started interactively, it starts a login shell, but when it is
    > started in batch mode (e.g. ssh user@some.site.com command) it runs my
    > command under an interactive shell.

    It doesn't do that for me. From man bash:

           An interactive shell is one started without non-option arguments and
           without the -c option whose standard input and output are both con-
           nected to terminals (as determined by isatty(3)), or one started with
           the -i option. PS1 is set and $- includes i if bash is interactive,
           allowing a shell script or a startup file to test this state.

    And on my system:

    imadev:~$ ssh localhost 'echo $-'
    wooledg@localhost's password:
    hBc

    imadev:~$ ssh localhost 'echo $PS1'
    wooledg@localhost's password:

    (That's a blank line after the password prompt.)

    > The ssh version that I use is OpenSSH_3.6.1p2

    OpenSSH 3.9p1 for me, on HP-UX 10.20, with bash 2.05b.