Strange sshd message in /var/log/messages: sshd: ^[[60G

Rafiq_Maniar_at_Dell.com
Date: 03/23/05

    Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:56:28 -0000
    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>

    Hi guys,

    OpenSSH version: 3.1p1-14
    OS: RHEL2.1
    Kernel: 2.4.9-e.34enterprise

    I have the following in the messages file:

    Mar 22 13:41:24 x sshd: Starting sshd:
    Mar 22 13:41:24 x sshd: succeeded
    Mar 22 13:41:24 x sshd: ^[[60G
    Mar 22 13:41:24 x sshd:
    Mar 22 13:41:24 x rc: Starting sshd: succeeded

    I've seen this message occur before, as have others I know - but now, I need to find out why this is
    occuring and how to stop it.

    I've googled and searched the archives but although many people seem to have this message in their logs,
    nobody seems to know why it occurs. It seems like its not causing any problems, but again, I need to
    get rid of it if possible, or at least explain why it occurs.

    It looks like some sort of terminal control character - but why it is being logged I have no idea.

    Is it a known bug that has been fixed in a newer OpenSSH version? Or is it a genuine log message that
    is just completely obscure? :)

    Thanks,
    Rafiq

    • last output
      ... Before patching all worked fine. ... security sshd sftp-server integer overlow pam keyboard interactive ... it was related to openssh sshd ... ...
      (SunManagers)
    • RE: OpenSSH b0rked (was RE: Problems with IPFW patch)
      ... fix was the config file. ... No reboots or restarting sshd necessary. ... > Subject: RE: OpenSSH b0rked ... >> annoying install sequence - you can't define where it gets ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Attacks against SSH?
      ... > CRC32-attack. ... i've seen quite a few attempts against sshd in the last few days, ... rumours of a "new OpenSSH exploit" started wandering around. ... the CRC bug in unpatched/vulnerable versions of ssh. ...
      (Incidents)
    • OpenSSH 3.1 released
      ... OpenSSH 3.1 has just been released. ... implementation and includes sftp client and server support. ... sshd x11 forwarding listens on localhost by default; ... see sshd X11UseLocalhost option to revert to prior behaviour ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: ssh going zombie
      ... Current openssh versions are in the 3.9 - 4.0 range. ... > to happern with winscp and not with scp or ssh under linux. ... > subprocess is removed from the sshd config file the a sub sshd process ... > I get this feeling this is going to be a problem nobody has a clue on ...
      (SSH)