root login thru ssh Was: hi all

From: Alexander Klimov (alserkli_at_inbox.ru)
Date: 02/26/05

Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:05:28 +0200 (IST)
To: raghavendrahs <raghavendrahs@mahiti.org>

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, raghavendrahs wrote:
> i have problem with ssh
> #ssh -v root@icf

It is not in general a good idea to login as root thru network (you
should login as a user and su), but if you really want to:

For the openssh-specific part check
man sshd_config ==> PermitRootLogin,
but the default is yes...

Other places are system specific (check if you are able to root-login
thru, e.g., telnet). Try to google for
os root login,
e.g., for solaris
http://www.google.com/search?q=solaris%20root%20login gives a hint to
check CONSOLE in /etc/default/login.

--
Regards,
ASK

Relevant Pages

  • Re: telnet as root question
    ... >> make securetty tell telnet and SSH apart? ... >login program after opening the pts. ... >check securetty to know if root login is allowed. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)
  • Re: BSM, SSH, and Session ID
    ... I can't recall how Sun SSH on Solaris 9 behaves but recent versions of Sun SSH/OpenSSH should fork off before the login because the sshd process that a user is connected to after authentication runs with their privileges, ... It should always be a different session, even if the user login is root. ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • RE: Login restrictions in NIS environment
    ... to ban root from logging in remotely except from certain IP addresses. ... but it does not allow root to login even from ... > stack is called by both login and ssh access. ...
    (RedHat)
  • SUMARY: Cant login as root
    ... As a result, i was not able to log in as root, neither create a new ... Asunto: RE: Can't login as root ... > console. ... > If we log as any other user everythig is ok, but we cannot either do su-. ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)
  • Re: ssh to remote machine with user login problem
    ... > machine.When i login as root ssh to remote machoine will work without ... You need to copy the 'authorized_keys' file from the ssh directory of the root ...
    (Debian-User)