Re-enabling passphrase request

From: Rich Shepard (
Date: 02/20/05

    Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:48:56 -0800 (PST)

       I've been using openssh-2 for a while now; all the systems are
    Slackware-10.0. Up until a few months ago I was asked for my passphrase when
    initiating a session to another host. If I pressed the [Enter] key I was
    then asked for my password. Now, however, I'm not asked for my passphrase at

       This is fine when I'm in the office and connecting to the other
    workstation or a portable. But, when I'm away from the office I would prefer
    to use my passphrase from the laptop back to the office network.

       On all hosts, /etc/ssh/sshd_config has "PubkeyAuthentication yes" and
    ~/.ssh/known_hosts has the public key for each of the other hosts. In
    ~/.ssh/known_hosts I do have a mix of ssh-rsa and ssh-dss; the former left
    over from ssh-1 days. Can this be part of the problem?

       I cannot figure out why I am no longer asked for my passphrase, even when
    initiating the session as "ssh -2", nor how to fix it. My reading and google
    searches haven't given me a clue. Do I need to start over and regenerate
    keys? I'd greatly appreciate a clue.

    Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
    Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
    <>   Voice: 503-667-4517   Fax: 503-667-8863